A Very Clever Girl

Looking at my Changes Tracker, I note that JoP managed to agree with my post of Skull-cap (Scutellaria galericulata) (https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/755327/skull-cap-scutellaria-galericulata) nine minutes before I posted it. I didn’t return to edit the post. Well done that girl!

Observation Skull-cap (Scutellaria galericulata)
Created by Thistle
Created by Thistle 23 December 2017 - 21:45

Observation Skull-cap (Scutellaria galericulata)
Created by Thistle
Agreement by JoP 23 December 2017 - 21:36

(Pssst: can you let me know what next week’s lottery numbers will be?)

I was looking at my change log, and I had an agreement and a comment on one observation. iSpot had the chronological order reversed from the order I thought I’d made them in. I assumed a memory lapse, but perhaps it was further evidence of inaccurate timestamps in iSpot.

Where does iSpot get it’s times from? Surely not the users’ computers???

Clever indeed!

JoP is not only bright,
She travels faster than light.
Went out one day
In a relative way,
Returned on the previous night.

Handy if you’ve missed the flowering of a rare plant, I suppose…

Joking apart, it shows that the gremlin hunt still has some way to go. Even if iSpot is taking times from other sources, they should surely be linked to automatically-synched systems - so should only be out by exact hours if the source is in another time-zone?

1 Like

If I;m right and iSpot got two of my actions out of order, then it’s not taking dates from users’ computers. Possibly they’re using multiple servers, and they’re out of sync.

I guess weall have to keep an eye on sequencing in our change logs to collect evidence.

Spotted this issue several weeks ago and reported to programmers but as you say need more evidence to try to trace what is going on as this should be impossible.

I am typing this at 4.35 pm in France. Does that help in the time warp evidence?

And I am in Arctic Darkness - does anyone care?
Happy Christmas everyone…

Probably not, iSpot and Discourse are not integrated, so the bug probably doesn’t turn up on the forums.

If it were light where you are right now then we would have a global problem of some magnitude.
So we do care; félicitations.

I am speedy - but not miraculously so (I don’t time travel (yet…)

its not THAT dark, is it? No stars? No Northern Lights? How do you find your way around??

Even with sunset at Kirkwall being half-an-hour earlier than here, I would have expected there still would have been traces of twilight left. On the other hand, down here, if it wasn’t for car headlights killing my night vision, I can just about see at night from the light pollution, and that won’t be same in rural Orkney.

maybe its a cloudy night as well as very dark…

You need to know that it’s quite light inside this evening and that julenissen has just been through…

Happy Christmas to you too

A possibly related thing I’ve noticed is that the changes tracker sometimes shows things as new that happened shortly before, rather than after, the last visit to the changes tracker. That could be another symptom of incorrect timestamps.

Today’s time traveller award goes to [drum roll] dejayM for his agreement to chrisbrooks’ ID of a Tufted Duck 16 minutes before that ID was posted.

Observation
Agreement
Duck
by zotwot 0 Identified
by chrisbrooks 28 December 2017 - 16:59
Observation
Agreement
Duck
by zotwot 0 Agreement
by dejayM 28 December 2017 - 16:43

Well spotted. Here’s the track

Mark as Unread
Wouldn’t it be nice to add a flag like this, which you remove when ‘done’ with responding, maybe days later…

I created the picture 10:21, posted here 10:26 and yet the times on my tracker…