Bugs Alphabetical B

Continuing the discussion from Bugs alphabetical:

B All bugs beginning with B.

BRILLIANT Andrew @Andrewm BRILLIANT
Can someone POWERFUL create a Category for us to work with. PLEASE?
EDITED
PS @Andrewm can you move your Alphas to Report Problems Category? Please. My note on method is in A. Say if you don’t agree

Yes, That’s what I was trying to do, but I am rather bad at this sort of thing. If someone powerful could do that, it would help.

Press on - make more. It could be YEARS before anyone responds. Do them all in one go so they stay close Chronologically. I’ll do S to Z. Go!
PS Below - unfortunately we had no other way of communicating at such a crucial time. Stick to the Brief then.

Oh dear. You have both broken with the topic. The topic is supposed to be bugs beginning with B. But this is not a bug. You have defeated the purpose to which you aspired!

Not a bug. No bug number in the Bug Catalogue.

BUG IN BROWSER: Browser index not correctly updating: How can the same observation be the icon observation** for both a family and a genus at the same time?

see

It appears that when the ID was updated from Pyralinae to Bostra the iconic list was not updated. This needs to be fixed.
Alternatively, what is happening is that iSpot is selecting a child to represent the ID Pyralinae, instead of one of the observations actually identified as Pyralinae - which leads us to another 2 bugs:

1 There is no way to find observations identified as Pyralinae - any attempt to find these brings up all the children. Which means that an expert helping out with identifications has to wade through all the lower ranking IDs to find those few observations only identified to the target rank.
In other words iSpot tells us that the ID to subfamily is the biggest category in the family, but then adds everything if one tries to look at this taxon.

Thus (from our data dump: it would take days to work this out on iSpot, this is approximate as it is based on the current AVAILABLE iSpot dictionary, not the Sept 2014 version which is used on iSpot):

• Pyralinae has 26 IDs, of which 18 are Likely IDs (i.e. 18 instances) - this is what I would expect to get if I clicked on the thumbnail! (and do all the extra unnecessary steps to get the observation list)
  • Pyralinae has children: 0 to tribe, 13 to genus and 47 to species - this is what I get in addition to the above if I click on the thumbnail (and do all the extra unnecessary steps to get the observation list)

Thus to find the 18 identifications to subfamily one has to manually go through 78 observations. Our experts do not have time for such an inefficient system

2 The iconic observation for the Pyrolinae should be the following which has 2.9897EE:

(it is iconic for the species Pyralis farinalis with 7 observations - see the 8th observation in the browser) But why is the observation above the iconic species and not this? Clearly a bug somewhere in the updating process.
Most likely the bug is that the former was elected as iconic for the subfamily when the subfamily ID was made, but when the ID was updated to genus, the iconic taxon was not updated. It seems therefore that the iconic observation for any taxon depends (to some degree) on it having been identified as that taxon in the past. In which case there are one or two bugs:
  • the iconic observation is not removed if the ID is changed (or at least changed to a child) - and no reassessment is done to a relevant index of iconic observations.
  • the iconic observation is not assessed properly: there is a bug in the evaluation process that does not look at all children only at past identifications.

** iconic observation:
the iconic observation is supposed to be the observation for that taxon that has the most votes (not number of votes, but reputation points = sum of reputation of all the voters). These two observations have 1.5EE (or 1500 votes, where an expert = 1000 votes ; EE = Expert Equivalents) and 2.9897EE (almost 3 experts), respectively.

I see the point about experts but what should one do if you have an ob that you suspect could be in the Pyrolinae and you want to browse through them all to see if you can find a match

What you should be able to do is invoke the browser from the ID Box (either in the wizard or an observation that you are trying to ID). This would take you straight to the browser page:

If there was already an ID, you could also click on the taxonname, and that would open the dictionary page, but it should open the observations, and not the taxonomy tab, and the bug that stops you from looking at only the first page needs to be fixed (indeed, it should show all three views List/Gallery/Map - in addition to taxonomy).

(although in this case you might prefer the gallery view - sorry it is not there).

Between those two (the surfer for looking for taxa, and the dictionary for observations of the taxon) you should be able to meet your needs.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get to the surfer or the dictionary pages if you want to find a taxon cold. There should be: both should have a search box on the top of their home pages.
Clearly the people programming how no idea how the site should or can be used. They expect you to start at the top and make 12 choices, waiting each time for the page to load so that one can get where one needs to be. On the old site there were cheats (fortunately they still work):
surfer - not possible (www.ispotnature.org/species-browser/sanbi/pyralinae no longer works)
taxonomy Pyralinae | Species Dictionary | Southern Africa | iSpot Nature but you need to click on the observations page

BLANK SCREENS - documentation

This is to document blank screens. I have heard of them but not seen them before.

Please record instances of this here.

blank:

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/species-dictionary/5027/aizoaceae

Had to use a Ctrl F5 to get it to work properly and display some content (which it did).

again:
Ctrl F5 fixed this - But why is it happening??

https://www.ispotnature.org/your-ispot/activity-changes?page=100

For me this is continuous and DREADFUL I solve it by pasting URL into new Tab - HOPELESS

Tony are you and I using the same WIN10 and Chrome?

Windows 7 Enterprize and Chrome

My Ctrl F5 has worked every time so far …

Browser
Taxonomy Browser never shows more than the first 50 Observations (one page) a great failing when there are 200 Observations of one species.
Typically then (over 700 Blue tits) https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/species-dictionary/NHMSYS0001688295/cyanistes
Other observations also only goes to 50
To ‘see’ all of one species a project is needed
“The last reply to this topic was 862 days ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.”
Oh the SHAME of it!

Yes, it still has the next button, but that takes you to page 1 again.
Or you could try this (but not from here;it only works by copying the link to wordpad.
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/observations?page=13&filters=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%3D

that’s nice Chris thanks, I’d quite forfotten how to begin that filter.
Actually that unfathomable link does work direct.

It’s odd that the link works for you Dejay,as it doesn’t for me in firefox

Actually, it’s hit and miss, it works sometimes. I am Chrome
I tried it in Href (html)
HERE and it sometimes leads to this https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/articles.
One could spend half a life on this sort of thing. Best copy/paste then.