Missing Pictures

I’ve just tried them Tuli & all 4 worked

I have just sat for 4 minutes waiting for Gypsy Moth (above). There are 9 pictures true, but I could not get any in.
A real and increasing problem here is that the WHOLE site is slow and the more pictures we post, the slower downloads will be.
The site has almost ground to a halt in some areas and I am getting new error codes, this one is very frequent

Just tried again, still no thumb in obs gallery of my project.
preview has a thumb
the opened page now has no thumbs again
zoom produces an image
Full size says not available

I wonder!!!

Why is it that all the pictures before the rewrite are in one directory
and all those after the rewrite are in another.

iS iSpot getting confused?

try clearing your cache. They work fine for me …

Magda reports: Pictures not loading on this dictionary page:

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/species-dictionary/46968/xylotheca-kraussiana/interactions

Finding which observation this is is not trivial. Clicking takes you to:

(come on - where should it take you?? tell us)

• To the dictionary page for the species? (a- the taxonomy page or b- the observation page?)
    c- To those observations of the species with any interactions
    d- To the observation where the interaction occurs
    e- To the set of observations that have this interaction (i.e. between these two species)
    f- To the observation shown in the thumbnail

But question:
** How does one find this observation that is missing?

Yes, for goodness’ sake someone EXPLAIN how search for an Observation, Orgaism or User works. I need advice - for me it’s the only poor substitute to Changes or Track

Nonononon nonono no no no

This is a different issue.
I am asking what we should get if we click on one of the above pictures.

SEARCHING is an entirely different issue. If one searches, then one expects to find all instances of the search term for that type of search. We have four searches on iSpot.

1. Anywhere - i.e. the search might find all instances on iSpot of the search words
  2. ID - i.e. the search must be confined to the ID box, most specifically to the Scientific and Common Names
  3. Taxonomy - A higher classification summarizing where all these names can be found (e.g. for “Aulax” I should be told that there are four collections Aulax (genus), Aulax cancellata (100 observations), Aulax pallasia (44 observations) and Aulax umbellata (342 observations), with the ability to click on any one of these to see their collections (in Taxonomy collection please - where the tab set “Taxonomy/List/Gallery/Map/Interaction” and the default open view is LIST).
  4. Projects i.e. a search of the project title and keywords (I dont know about the project description, and definitely NOT the comments (that is an Anywhere search).)
  5. User - i.e. the name of a user, where the user name opens the collection for that user as a “List/Gallery/Map” (or in other words: the . An argument can be made that it should open that user’s profile. But then I would argue that that user’s profile should have the following tabs: Profile/List/Gallery/Map/Track. (i.e. a mirror of the Dictionary collection with its Taxonomy/List/Gallery/Map - in both cases the view should open by default on the LIST View)
1 Like

worked, thanks . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thumbnail and main picture misssing

Interesting: the thumbnail is showing here, but is missing in the OOC here:

A new trend:

No pictures, no group, and no group tag (just a funny little hollow round circle).

What is happening here?

and

(tried editing but there is nothing there …

I’ve looked. It looks normal and as though you have forgotten to add the Pic. Try adding a different picture?
I have agreed on the basis that YOU would know a termite from an ant or an elephant!

Hi
That is not mine. It was put on by Gigi.

My one (Yellow Scruff) was put on fine (although I cannot guarantee that this was the one that went on fine -but I cannot search so cannot easily check.)

Really? How do you do that?

Whoops you are correct. It was OK when I Posted it !!!

(Gigi told me about it - just assumed that it was hers: sorry)

More missing pictues (thank you Magda)

(PS: these are two different observations: just the same title …

OK. I expect this has already been flagged by someone else, but a quick trawl through the morass that the forum has become didn’t find it:
I recently proposed “Broad -Leaved Ragwort” as an identification. Someone then revised it to “Wood Ragwort”. But I stupidly forgot to “favourite” or note down the address.
Searching for “Senecio” didn’t find it - whether using “All”, or “Identifications”. But, by using the filters, and entering “Senecio,” it did show up.
I’m not sure whether this would be better posted in the “Work-arounds” section.

here y go! @Amadan
I am no genius at searching for anything but I am persistent.
After Asterales | Species Dictionary | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature I clicked Observations and then…
I found myself here https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/species-dictionary/NHMSYS0000065768/asterales/observations and used my Browser ‘find’ for Ragwort - 7 occurrences. I looked down that list to find Senecio fluviatilis. Simples? Nah!!
(NOTE I used the CHROME tool ‘Find’ Ctrl+F (on the page)

SEARCHING FOR SPECIES

… But you’d think, wouldn’t you, that a search for Senecio fluviatilis might be more inspiring than this
Search | iSpot Nature - click on Identifications
There are ONLY three or four Observations. Oh well…

This then Senecio | Species Dictionary | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature
Look down the Tree Members for Senecio fluviatilis 3 - Click
Then Observations to find Senecio sarracenicus | Species Dictionary | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature

more missing pictures:

can the programmers please find out what happened and fix these …

probably a consequence of the user having added a habitat. deJayM - do you want to test this?

if it is fixed, then why have the programmers not gone back and relinked the pictures to the observations? Who on earth is supposed to go back and do this?