New Year Plant Hunt

NYPH? What the hell is the NYPH Plant Mapping system I wondered.
I feel stupid now
https://nyph.bsbi.org/results.php

The ninth BSBI Plant Hunt will run from 1 - 4 January 2020. Link, here:

Might be worth including a link on the cover page?
1 Like

Final reminder. It’s not looking all that promising up here (I saw about 20 species flowering over a days walk today) but perhaps a couple of mild sunny days (30th and 31st) will bring every out down south.

we’re on course for a decent haul down here in Norfolk… mix of suburban, old fashioned industrial and semi-natural and ideally near the coast would work best… we’re in Norwich though, so won’t ‘win’! Ought to be a handicap system, so that if you’re in the north your fewer species are worth more than say a species list from Plymouth

So, is this a bluebell to be? And how much is it worth

Looks rather like it- possibly the garden hybrid, which is a little earlier than the native one, at least round here. Report back in a few months?

That was my reaction, but scilloids tend to be rather similar vegetatively.

We shouldn’t be treating it as a competition (unless you want to send two teams out on the streets of Norwich).

“People are often surprised by how many flowers they find, but in some parts of the UK and in particular habitats finding anything in bloom can be a huge challenge. Lists with few or even no results are just as important as long lists. If you have searched and found no flowering plants then your result is still valuable and we want to hear about. Please send us an email stating where you went and we’ll include your null result in our analysis.” (BSBI)

Those bluebells look about as far up as the ones in my back garden.
The soil level has also been increased since last year and even that has not held them back.

I found 22 species in flower in the garden today.
Rose (Rosa)
Quince (Cydonia oblonga)
Daisy (Bellis perennis)
Red Dead Nettle (Lamium purpureum)
Primula (Primula)
Common Garden Spurge (Euphorbia peplus)
Viburnum (Viburnum x bodnantense)
Mahonia (Mahonia japonica)
Viburnum (Viburnum tinus)
False Holly (Osmanthus heterophyllus)
Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum)
Ivy (Hedera helix)
Bittercress (Cardamine)
Hazel (Corylus avellana)
Paperbark Birch (Betula papyrifera)
Himalayan honeysuckle (Leycesteria formosa)
Ivy-leaved Toadflax (Cymbalaria muralis).
Annual Meadow Grass (Poa annua)
Fuchsia (Fuchsia)
Cyclamen (Cyclamen hederifolium)
Christmas Rose (Helleborus niger)
Dianthus (Dianthus)

NYPH 2022 reminder

This year the BSBI New Year Plant Hunt (wild plants in flower at the turn of the year) runs from the 1st to the 4th of January. I’ve worked out that weather and dedication permitting you can enter up to 12 lists - one each morning, one each afternoon, and using streetlights, one each evening. (I did manage 8 lists in 2020.)

The weather looks as if it’s continuing mild, which should be good for the availability of plants to record, but plants in flower have seemed quite scarce this month.

Thanks.
and watch for Mags49 - New year’s day :sparkles: iBlitz in iSpot

1 Like

For anyone who doesn’t know about the Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland’s New Year Plant Hunt 2022, here is the link: New Year Plant Hunt 2022: how to take part AND stay safe – Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland

1 Like

Seen in Dartford and London SE16 on 1st Jan 2022:

1. Gorse
  2. Groundsel
  3. Red Dead-nettle
  4. Annual Mercury
  5. Red Campion
  6. Guernsey Fleabane
  7. White Dead-nettle
  8. Dandelion
  9. Shepherd’s-purse
  10. Daisy
  11. Hawkweed Oxtongue
  12. Autumn Hawkbit
  13. Cock’s-foot
  14. Common Field-speedwell
  15. Petty Spurge
  16. Annual Meadow-grass
  17. Scentless Mayweed
  18. Smooth Sow-thistle
  19. Bristly Oxtongue
  20. Green Alkanet
  21. Narrow-leaved Ragwort
  22. Jersey Cudweed
  23. Dove’s-foot Crane’s-bill
  24. Hawkweed sp
  25. Argentinian Vervain
  26. Prickly Lettuce
  27. Common Chickweed
  28. Pellitory-of-the-Wall
  29. Mexican Fleabane
  30. Yarrow
  31. Shaggy Soldier
  32. Ivy-leaved Toadflax
  33. Herb-Robert
  34. Pot Marigold
  35. Black Nightshade
  36. Feverfew
  37. Bramble
  38. Lesser Celandine
  39. Bacopa
  40. Garden Lobelia
  41. Eastern Rocket
  42. Procumbent Yellow-sorrel
  43. Hemp-agrimony
  44. Hedge Mustard
  45. Pink-headed Persicaria

Biggest surprises were the Hemp-agrimony, Prickly Lettuce and the hawkweed sp (a small colony of which has been flowering locally since late May, with one plant still in flower today). I’ve not seen any of those in January before.

The biggest thrill, though, was finding some lovely Rustyback ferns in one of the old Surrey Docks - it’s probably been there for many decades. I only saw it today, even though it’s not far from my house, because I was peering over the edges of the old docks hoping to add Purple Toadflax (I didn’t - it’s finished).

I’ve not heard of Bacopa monieri before; presumably an invasive in the docks area. It’s not recorded here:

I thought Monieri would celebrate a specific botanist, but it seems to be used to commemorate one of several people having these surnames. There are both plants and animals with this specific.

Possibly an error in the vernacular name I used - I meant Chaenostoma cordatum. Lavateraguy identified a specimen for me here on iSpot a year or two ago, and today I saw a large plant in full flower alongside Ivy-leaved Toadflax and Garden Lobelia high up on an old wall (formerly the wall of a commercial dock), took better photos and am confident of the ID.

It’s the white one in this photo on the RHS website: Chaenostoma cordatum &s;Snowflake&s; | bacopa &s;Snowflake&s; Bedding/RHS Gardening

The plant was misidentified in the horticultural (bedding plant) trade some time back, and bacopa has stuck as a vernacular name.

Thanks for the explanations… there’s always something to learn on ispot.

So True.

That’s all I wanted to say but needed more characters