Some favourites

This post took a while to load; now I see why as as it has over 60 plants listed,but none illustrated, as seen on a walk. A project with photos would have been informative,
I agree it should be deleted.

A favourite for a different reason, because I am curious about these small insects and believe that someone, surely, within the iSpot community must be able to say what they are.

There are 59 views at the time of writing and no comments (other than mine, clutching at a straw).

A favourite because it shows how two iSpotters helped this woman. Well done!

Fungi and Isolation Fave
Expert’s wisdom - see the ID and my comment
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/797514/

My favourite because I heard about the existence of ‘Extra-floral nectaries’ for the first time. WOW!

1 Like

I was thinking of adding this one myself!

Now identified! Thanks to John Bratton!
(with reference to:

posted above)

This one:

The photography is superb - usually the case in her posts - and this is one of my personal favourites. It’s the first plant I ever asked the identity of, over 60 years ago. The farmland around was, at that time, becoming more intensively cultivated: small copses and wild corners were disappearing fast.)
I was keen to tell my mother what I’d found, but she was quite dismissive. If she’d shown a bit more interest, I might be a passable botanist by now. Ah, memories are not always sweet…

Yes Scarlet Pimpernel is very nice plant until it becomes the main weed growing like a carpet all over the allotment, suddenly you wish you could eat it!

Better scarlet pimpernel that couch or horsetail, or docks, dandelions and creeping buttercupsl. I only have scarlet pimpernel in small quantities - the troublesome annuals are cleavers, hairy tare and speedwells.

So colourful it has to be a favourite. The photos have attracted an astonishing 363 views. George G identified it. https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/798697/orange

Apparently you can: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/scarlet-pimpernel.aspx.

It was, however, pointed out to me the other day that “All fungi are edible, some only once”!

Yes - I find that it can be aggressive in the garden. Others have commented on the theoretical edibility, but I’m not tempted to try it. It’s just that the plant - and the moment of discovery - are firmly stuck in my head, even 63 years later. I wish I could forget some others…

A perfectly illustrated observation from the isolation collection.

No longer a complete unknown - but not a rolling stone (music lyric reference that shows my age…)

Blue theme… continued
This post is one of several by Owen. Gavarnie is a wonderful place for wildlife, but his posts won’t be seen unless you follow Global. They are all insects, so do have a look if you have time.

Not all his species are in the iSpot dictionary, but i dont have a problem with that.

Today’s favourite from the UI Inverts Project. Can anyone solve the mystery of the tiny speck that can move and has at least one leg?

Going into the sort of detail I expect from dejayM, same superb photography, informative, praiseworthy.
Almost worth the lockdown if it produces work like this. Only “almost”, though.

And another -

This is really intriguing: I hope one of you clever people can put a name to it. I’ve never heard of anything like it in the UK.

Fished these wonderful ‘blobs’ out of the Sea of UIs. Worth a look. N.b. See Mark’s suggested ID in comments.