Another "unidentified" post

I wonder if one of the (very) good botanists who frequent the site could have a go at putting a name to the host plant species here:

There is a close-up shot of a leaf and stem: it might help put a name to the lepidopterans involved.

And another

This is fun, should you like IDing organisms… https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/793040/the-uk-unidentifieds

“The last reply to this topic was 231 days ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list”

NO excuse, there really is something for everyone

Some good stuff in here, if one disregards the observation of monkey nut shells, and doesn’t mind looking at hundreds of photos of brown fungi.
What is this?:

By the way, I’m seeing a significant number of observations without photos, or without photos that load. Is that right? Or is there a glitch?

1 Like

Thanks for input. They should be ignored for now please. I mark them for deletion and the Curator’s attention. That there are so many is suspicious so we are taking our time. Eventually they will go. if, somehow we can clear all the normal ones, we will be left with huge blocks of pictureless ones that will be easy to deal with.
With ones like https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/36891/ one sometimes has only to read the comments to get a decent ID. We are VERY keen to add the best ID possible but any ID in the relevant Tax-tree is fine because they then go into _Collections_✴️. @HB1 (Helen) has dealt with this one in the correct way. Anyone can help.
ðJ

We few have been though all of this before with eleven thousand Unidentified Inverts (there are still 4000). If people view any then PLEASE leave a comment if you cannot go further. An added comment shows in the LIST view - it is nice to see someone else occasionally!
:eight_pointed_black_star:**(High Taxa) COLLECTIONS** are made to allow eventual visiting experts to have a ball!
Typical one https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/775147/

I will do what I can to help especially as the clocks go back this weekend and the tv is rubbish.

I’ve been through the 27 or 28 pp of observations but the great majority were fungi, together with a surprising quantity of lichen (lichens seem less prevalent on iSpot these days), and I didn’t feel qualified to identify them, at least not without a field guide by my side. There were some marsh orchids, rather surprisingly, and a spattering of garden plants. What’s the official line on garden plants? I have to say that I don’t like to see them on iSpot.

Some opinion with respect to garden plants

1. iSpot is intended for organisms in the wild - so strictly speaking no zoo animals, no pets, no farm animals, no crop plants, no cultivated plants in gardens, or house plants, no aquarium fish, no street trees, no amenity shrubs or bulb plantings, no game bird cover or food plants, … (I don’t consider single species hedgerows to be recordable, or the dominant species in a hedgerow that has been invaded by other species.)

2. But we don’t want to discourage the newbies by telling them off for putting up observations of garden plants

3. The worse offenders for putting up garden plants are people doing OU courses, so it appears that the OU are less bothered than some of the regulars here

4. There is a case for putting up cultivated plants as examplars for plants that might be encountered in wild - see my Crocus Project (a mixture of naturalised and cultivated observations) for an example which got some positive feedback from some regulars.

5. The line between cultivated and spontaneous plants can be hard to discern - there is even a category of garden edge plants, which are found predominantly in gardens, but in contexts where they appear either spontaneous or naturalised rather than planted.

6. If cultivated plants are to be added they should be clearly marked as such.

7. To use the interaction feature for insects feeding/nectaring on garden plants requires adding observations for the garden plants.

1 Like

That Project is temporarily Fungi and Invertebrate free.
You have until Saturday Lunchtime!
Who lives near Halesowen or works for the OU?

Full of interest - a few of us. A few of us are plucking the best fruit! Hurry

I would agree that the current selection in that unidentified organisms project is particularly fine and I don’t remember seeing the vast majority of them.

Get stuck in - easy pickings. But SO MANY pictureless ones. Have the pictures been coded out somehow
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/34982/ammonites - tag needed

lichens were particularly common in the observations for the first few years on ispot as there was a project associated with a course that used them, this is no longer the case.
I don’t mind a few garden plants on ispot, especially trees as they are actually the habitat for a lot of the ‘wild’ organisms. One problem with garden plants is that the names, apart from not being the dictionary, can be almost impossible to write correctly especially with the copyrights etc on particular names.

Hopefully no pictures coded out. Jonathan was not so bothered about having photos for all observations in the early days, he was hoping people would include suitable descriptions and just wanted them to take part.

I may mark a few where the lack of a picture does not detract from the Observation - there maybe one!!