Artificial Intelligence

Hi there @vanessa_hequet Please see feedback/comments on the test observation you posted yesterday, 30th Jan. I left a couple of queries there for you. M

Thanks a lot Mag for your answer and for your help in evaluating the Ai on your pic ! Sorry about using your picture without mentioning you but I really though I had deleted it! The idea was to see what kind of interface you get in ISpot compared to Pl@ntnet. By the way I couldnā€™t see any suggestion in my test post?! Anyway it is really interesting to compare the different responses you have for others applications. This kind of picture is definitely difficult for AI as it will also consider the blurred background as significant.

With your pic cropped hereā€™s what I obtained through the desktop app :

Cropped pic :

test | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature here is the test observation, it has an interesting comment thread too.

Thanks for getting back to me @vanessa_hequet

Since the PlantNet panel doesnā€™t appear till midnight, the trick for stealth could be to post at 11:59 and delete at 12:01!!!

Here is the version of the photo I used to get the AI results I put in the comments: trying to upload photo, may have to try again.

![21781F9F-C148-4376-89E2-0FD4D1A8DB04_1_105_c|486x500]
(upload://caBWrxkt3ZwYh2A7LKBEurrweTo.jpeg)

Not uploaded after all will try again

That seemed to work. This crop area selected because it clearly says Alder to me!

The queries in the comments were:
Do you want me to crop the photo and post obs again to see what happens? (overtaken by events I think) and
Do you want someone to ID the obs as Alder? Overtaken by events.

Edited to add from comment in obs:
When I scroll through activity on PlantNet on phone app, January is very green (lots of leaves) with some flowers. And when you add a photo to the app, specifying ā€˜habitā€™, as you will know you get a warning message -" Identification requires at least one picture of a flower, leaf, fruit or bark" so not surprised the results are not so useful as ID pointers when these parts are not available. The way the Seek AI operates might be different (?).
Thereā€™s an iSpot tag ā€˜winter tree twigsā€™ which could give a useful selection of training material for an enthusiastic young AI :slight_smile:

And also to add: this observation makes similar point in the text while logging a lovely winter sycamore:

A reference to https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pan3.10460 appeared in one of my feeds today. May be of interest to some here.

1 Like

Very interesting paper

Hi Vanessa - so nice to have someone to ask for advice. Iā€™ve been submitting images from the Western Cape. South Africa (also in the iSpot Southern Africa Community) to the ā€œWorld floraā€ database, but it would be nice to add them to a group - wondering if iSpot should set up one? @miked.
Also Iā€™m hesitant to add observations that Iā€™m not 100% certain of - any suggestions?
Interesting - many Southern African plants have been imported to the UK over the years.

Hi Marlandza, I might not be able to answer all questions but Iā€™ll do my best! I quickly checked whether there were groups on south african flora in Pl@ntNet. Typing ā€œSouth Africaā€ in search zone result in 17 existing groups. Still they seem not to be very active with at most 92 persons and about 400 observations. Creating a group is always possible without any restriction. Thereā€™s even possibility to create Pl@ntNet certified groups. The relevance of doing so may depend on wether Pl@ntNet will be included or not in ISpot after that test period ? Considering adding observation youā€™re not certain of please do not hesitate! Each user have a weight, based on different criteria so if youā€™re not a confirmed user, a wrong identification can be easily corrected through collaborative revision by other more experience and more weighted users.

Thanks Vanessa - Iā€™d like to add the redlisted species and other interesting plants, especially those from the Cape of Good Hope. Some really canā€™t be positively ID from photos, but Iā€™ll do my best.
Hope your site prospers - we have lost so many really nice ones quite recently. - eg
ARKIVE - "a very hard decision was made to take the www.arkive.org website offline in February 2019.

ā€œThe complete Arkive collection of over 100,000 images and videos is now being stored securely offline in perpetuity for future generations.ā€

Just one,

Marlandza, it would be really great to have your pictures added! Especially if they concern poorly illustrated redlisted species. This will help the application recognize those species and hopefully contribue to get more information about them. Thank you very much for that!
And yes it is sad to ear that such beautiful initiative like Arkive couldnā€™t be maintainedā€¦

@miked @Luisa @mags49 @JoC
Maybe iSpotters might like to comment
Added today https://identify.plantnet.org/the-plant-list/observations/1016570920
Was agreed on iSpot - a fire dependent orchid

Iā€™m hoping to add others that have been agreed on iSpot
Is it worth the effort?

Since you have so many potentially useful images on ispot there might be a way for plantnet to automatically pick them up if you would like that. Suspect you might be in a unique position in this respect having so many good images of species they may need for their ai system. However if a system is developed then others may also want to use it.

That would be very nice - it all takes time and Iā€™m trying to add further links to help others with agreements.
Such a pity that iSpot still requires the ssp.
My pics are mostly point-and-click so that there are no views of bulbs etc.
However, most of my observations on the Peninsula have been taken where we followed the path of the recent fires, so some plants will only be found after another fire,
Good news is that CASABIO is back on line.
And Iā€™m hoping that my Swiss Orchid Foundation links will work after they have updated their site -

Whatever you decide Iā€™d just like to say that I enjoy your posts and you have some amazing photos. Unfortunately, I only very rarely have the knowledge to agree - especially where there are subspecies.

1 Like

see my latest post under In the News - we do our best.

@vanessa_hequet
Hi Mike wondering if you set up this group for me
Plants of the Cape Peninsula

If so, many thanks.
Iā€™m getting used to the site and have corrected the posts that were LOST somewhere in Europe.
M
@dejayM

I have not set it up. Will ask Plantnet more questions