'confirm UK observations' slow to load

Thanks … but I’m still getting “No results found”.

Apologies for the ongoing issues with the Observations List page - despite having made lots of database query tweaks, its still not working as fast as it should. Oddly it seems that adding one or more filters may make it faster.

Yes, I’d wondered about that. Filtering for obs submitted in the last week certainly speeds things up but the outcome “No results found” is just the same :roll_eyes:

And again:

5 May 21:30
For quite a while this eve I cannot access Obswrvations, Project or Community-filter Maps @Chris_Valentine

OK a bit more fiddling later and both the Observations list and Observations map are working at an acceptable pace.

1 Like

Thanks…I cannot work without maps!

1 Like

Many thanks. Much better now.

1 Like

It has gone slow for me this morning.

Yes, same here. I entered an ID and the photos below of other examples wouldn’t load.

Sorry folks - as you’ve likely spotted, we’re having server problems again.

Saturday 13th
Whoever is doing endless server restarts - bless you :hearts:.
I may be causing the breakdown - each time I did something last eve it crashed
Sorry!

Don’t think it’s you - I thought it was me! Can’t seem to do anything much.

Has the gremlin returned from a short holiday?

I am really having trouble, can’t get Observations to load from Sp dictionary. This is how I generally proceed if I have observed something and want to look at what’s been seen recently. Trying: explore community - map - filter on taxon method is equally inaccessible, just the circling thing and then no results (there are 154 of the things I want to see - the taxonomy part of Sp Dictionary told me that). Then found one obs of the thing, tried to view the other observations, no luck. Been like that on and off for days for me.

We’ve put in some “timeouts” on the database server so connections don’t get left tied up. As a result, it looks like although the site is still having the occasional slowdown, its not requiring manual intervention to kick it back into life.

mags49 - I can’t reproduce what you’re experiencing. Do you mean the “Recent Observations of…” carousel? This is occasionally slow but I’ve been testing it recently and it normally completes in less than 20 seconds.

Chris, thanks for your response.

When I want to add an obs, I usually want to look at other observations of the species or genus before making the observation (I am a great believer in adding agreements where I can to recent obs of something I’ve just been looking up on other sites ie learning form other posts here!) so I search on the search box. Let’s say for Pinus nigra. I then select an observation that comes up first, in this case

Then I go to the taxon name in the ID panel and click on that, getting:

I can divert through the taxonomy as I wish, eg to find out how many obs there are for a particular taxon. Then click on Observations - that should show me all in that taxon. In the past This has worked well for me but it’s an example of what isn’t working consistently for me just now. I should get this: https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/species-dictionary/NHMSYS0000461716/pinus-nigra/observations
and indeed just now, that’s exactly what I got after some seconds. But earlier before writing this, it went round and round and then told me there were no observations!

We all love an intermittent issue, maybe it’s about busy times or something! So it worked fine just now. It’s a good feature that one can navigate in different ways round the site. Maybe the method above is not sensible, someone will tell me if that’s the case. For me, the site was so slow as to be unworkable yesterday. It seems fine now, thank you!

Yes, that is particularly slow so thanks for pointing that out. I will investigate on Monday. Oddly the Explore community > Observations List page loads way faster.

I think I’m soon going to be on first name terms with this gremlin!

and its close relation

Observations are slow to load and the spinning icon appears when moving between obs. Other Observations still aren’t loading. Overall, I’m finding the site almost unworkable.