For those unsure of the moths they find in the their moth trap

1 Like

Thanks for this, I might just get involved… I have yet to unpack my new toy, a moth trap ordered so long ago I forgot about it (there was a shortage!). Not peak season I know but at least I might get started. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had zero in the garden these last 2 weeks… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and trapped every day… :woman_facepalming: A White-shouldered House-moth and Sprawler were my last record on the 19th November! And one Rusty Dot Pearl at the Nature Reserve (LLNR) on the 20th November. However, I’m a Lepidoptimist at heart so keep switching that moth light on…because you just never know! I was told yesterday that they’d had one White-shouldered House-moth AND seven - yes, SEVEN - December Moths!!! :smiley:

Thanks for that reply Rachel, I’ll let you know when I get set up and when I get something!

There’s a lot to be said for starting moth trapping in the quieter months. Getting 100+ species in the trap when you have not previous experience could be a little daunting!
I’ve been very fortunate because my county recorder will look at digital photos of any moths (or, indeed, insects) that I send him. In the past, he also dissected a lot of micros for me, including a first for Surrey it turned out. But now that I have a good idea of what occurs in my garden (600+ species), I don’t take specimens any longer.

Thanks for that, it’s encouraging!