iForum LIVE! Event: iSpot celebrates International Women's Day!

Yes @NorthernTeacher we are trialling this approach to bring in new ways of interacting its nice to chat one to one but also to have the time to reflect and post again later.

The International Women’s Day main theme this year is #BreakTheBias. “Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that’s diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women’s equality. Collectively we can all [#BreakTheBias]”(IWD: IWD 2022 campaign theme: #BreakTheBias) I find this statement hugely empowering and am always inspired to not just imagine this but do things every day to help achieve these aims… What do you do to help towards these goals?

1 Like

I think we all do in our way in our day to day activity. @mags49 what you said above demonstrates this. By supporting, mentoring and just being there for other women we are doing!

For us in my department, we have very much beat the bias as we have a team of 8 and 7 of which are women!

We actively invite all genders to volunteer and join us during the native species events. We try to include all ages as well encouraging children to get involved and spark enthusiasm in as many young people as possible.

1 Like

This has been an amazing start for our first LIVE chat. In the next one we will talk a a bit more about what got you involved in biodiversity and iSpot and any women who influenced you along the way!

iSpot is pretty neutral, @Rachel_R and @Janice_A. I sometimes wish I had chosen a less gendered name! Now there are so many eg recruitment schemes with no first names or gender indicator and also with no age indicator nor indeed ability references. Some of our iSpotters may be less mobile than they once were and hopefully that diversity enriches - they can show others the way, share experiences. If you don’t know anything about the people you are addressing you have to try to be inclusive!

1 Like

Not a straightforward question to answer, really, Rachel. I can think of specific things I’ve called out in the past but because of keeping away from people for a long time, I mostly just swear at the TV at the moment! A title such as International Women’s Day discriminates itself in a way but at the mo, I don’t have an alternative.

2 Likes

Fantastic point @mags49. Definitely something for us to think about and discuss more in the next LIVE segment later today.

Yes, what’s in a name? If you grew up in the olden times like me, then it was really important to celebrate and promote women’s rights as they evolved. I think that doing well by women, beating the bias, involves doing well by all, trying to include as much as you can. See you later on!

1 Like

Absolutely! We are hoping to have our whole community involved here, not just women. We want input from everyone. Because it is all about inclusivity! Being allies and supporting where we can and calling out bias where we can too! Thanks for your input @NorthernTeacher and you are so right…it’s not always straightforward or easy is it.

I hear where your coming from @NorthernTeacher . The Title reminds us of the history of where the need for this day come from while at the same time reminds us that there is still more that needs to be done to change things.

Cheers to you all! If there were a poll now, definitely a ‘yes’ to success! Bye for now!

2 Likes

Thanks @NorthernTeacher will add that poll in to help with the evaluation. Chat again later.

Time has just flown by and we don’t want to stop the discussions! Please keep them coming and share your thoughts on the discussion topics and comments posted so far! AND thanks for joining in for our first iForum LIVE! session! We will be running our next live session at 1:00pm on your links and relationship to biodiversity and the environment and where your shared passion for wildlife started. And how you came to iSpot too! So, see you there! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your contributions so far. Welcome to all joining us in the 2nd LIVE chat. We would like to turn the discussion to the other theme for IWD this year. The United Nations (UN) Women organisation is observing IWD with a spotlight on gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow, what has also been referred to as a call out for ‘climate action for women, by women’’.

Recent COP26 discussions in Glasgow and the also brought this topic to light: Globally women and girls have more of the burden of the impact of the climate crisis and biodiversity loss, but are lacking equal access.

For me this is highlights the important link between gender and the environment - and the need for better understanding that gender equality is crucial to achieving a sustainable future for all. Themes like this influenced my career switch from being a journalist to managing projects that support action – I got frustrated writing about the issues and wanted to be involved in doing something to help facilitate change.

If you are interested in reading more about this see: In Focus: International Women's Day | UN Women – Headquarters.
So the next question to you is: Does anything about this IWD theme resonate with you and your relationship with biodiversity? Share a bit your story:

1 Like

Good afternoon,
My interest in nature stems from having parents who allowed me the freedom to play outdoors with few rules other than to stay away from the railway and fast-flowing River Spey. I picked flowers and pressed them between the pages of Collin’s guide to wildflowers. As a Brownie I took part in sausage sizzles in Rothiemurchus Forest. In summer, we fished for baggies, collected caterpillars and frog spawn. Fast forward to adulthood and the joy of being outdoors and learning about nature have stayed with me and influenced my work in early education. I’m particularly inspired by Margaret McMillan an early educator who campaigned for young children to be educated in an environment planned around the nursery garden. She said, ‘The best kept classroom and the richest cupboard are roofed only by the sky.’ (1925)

2 Likes

@HB1 Great to ‘see’ you! What an amazing reflection on your journey.

@Rachel_R @Janice_A @HB1 Hello all.

Two things - I have been an educator of some sort since my early 20s, still am though context shifted. The massive joy of sharing young peoples’ experiences of the outdoors has often sustained me through tougher aspects of the roles I was undertaking. They share their passion and they inspire all the time whether bringing you a newt or groaning about aches on a walk or whatever! More anon incl second thing.

2 Likes

Welcome to the IWD discussion @HB :slight_smile: And, yes, it was the same for me too…nature parks were my playground and I also had the freedom to get out in nature and play and explore! It helped that my Dad was a park warden and travelled across the UK to live in different parks to connect with and engage others in nature, including schools engagement and getting children involved in conservation and wildlife! :slight_smile: That has definitely influenced my work in education, biodiversity and engagement too! Thanks for sharing your female inspiration Margaret McMillan

Youngsters’ enthusiasm needs to be supported and spread, it’s a natural thing and something sometimes happens around adolescence that can diminish it a bit, sadly. Young women can become alienated from the outdoors and it can be difficult to keep them on side in the face of peer pressure, hair issues etc etc

2 Likes