Improvements 2023

Aah, @dejayM you have expressed what I have started to say several times!

Yes, location and maps are an important thing for me, I find I am in process of making a comment and want to look at map/location, but can’t see it at that point. Can of course make a quick keyboard copy of the comment, cancel it, look at the map and then paste in comment and continue …but seems unwieldy. Recently I was asking an observer to please review location of the observation - took me ages since I don’t know the area (Ireland) and had to keep looking at where the two places (mapped location and stated location) actually are.

1 Like

Would it help if the right-hand column didn’t scroll with the rest of the page?

I agree but one thing at a time. Maybe remove the twitter panel to begin with?

Have applied a patch to stop the map in the right-hand column from disappearing - but I’m not entirely sure its worked! Works OK in my local development environment but I don’t think it’s had any effect on the live server. Could be down to over-aggressive caching by CloudFlare.

Doesn’t seem to work.
easily tested by clicking Reply to any comment, no need to add the reply, just see if the map’s gone.

I’ve got a feeling this is fixed now.

I don’t think so. Go to any Observation with a comment. Click reply. No need to complete the comment just check the map’s still there
“You’ve replied to @Chris_Valentine 3 times, did you know you could send them a personal message instead?”

it does not suggest how, nor will anyone see my numerous comments (relief?)

Have just tried clicking reply and here the map stays on screen. I suspect its now a cache that’s stopping this working for you.

I know it’s been mentioned before but what’s the thinking behind making the
“Who’s online” box visible only on the home page and not the others? Has it been capped not to show more than a certain number of users?

That wee box requires at least 11 queries so not having it anywhere but the home page reduces stress on the database. It is limited to showing the 10 most recently accessed accounts - but the numbers (digits) it shows are not limited.

Helpful to know. Thanks.

It would be handy to be able to add a map boundary into a project via a GPX file or Comma separated file or some such. The adding a boundary by clicking on the map is a rather haphazard and easy to get wrong.

Or have I just missed this as an already existing feature?

No you have not missed something. This is a feature I have wanted since start of ispot. Unfortunately there are lots of issues with this as complex polygons put a lot of strain on the server and there is no easy way to upload them. When the site was rebuilt in 2017 they refused to make this upload possible by users. Think we have managed to test upload one or two complex project polygons but only possible by the programmer and lots of fiddling is needed.

So it is something that we would like but not possible at present.

Thanks Mike. It would be handy to create the project map using a more friendly application and then just upload it. I will just leave it in the wish list.

I am pleased that I did fail on the reading the instructions properly test!