an online database published by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Euphorbia caput-medusae was introduced from South Africa to the Netherlands around 1700 and described by Linnaeus in his Species Plantarum (1753). Linnaeus had previously worked for George Clifford, a banker and one of the directors of the Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie, VOC).
Read further in the Kew Species Profiles - General Description
This species at Kew
Medusa’s head is grown behind the scenes, in the Tropical Nursery at Kew.
Kew’s Economic Botany Collection includes a sample of the acrid milky juice from Euphorbia caput-medusae that was donated to Kew by the artist Thomas Baines in 1854. It is available to researchers from around the world, by appointment.