News February 2021

This is an excellent OU summer exam question for the Public Understanding of Science module.

I would expect a good answer to start from the earlier works on Red Kites (Davies P W & Davis P E 1973.) and on pigeons (Derek Goodwin 1960.)

There should be a description of the opportunities afforded by changes in human land use for both species analysing the relationships within the food web between the Red Kite and pigeons.

In the conclusion there should be some attempt to explain why the Red Kites of Milton Keynes are oblivious to the requests by allotment holders to help them out.

Perhaps the wily pigeons have made a pact with the Kites. They’ll drive the unsuspecting allotment holder into an apoplectic fit by judicious plant destruction, then tell the Kites where the body is…

Good to see some lateral thinking in this answer; with some refs to peer reviewed papers this could be First Class.

Another element that may refer to Amadan’s reply is that the kites tend to hang about looking very innocent but if any allotment holder bends down perhaps to plant seeds or otherwise looks a bit less healthy those kites swoop down to check if there is a meal to be had.

I know the feeling. While walking in the Pyrénées we stopped for a rest on a rock. Within minutes a vulture was overhead checking us out. It came close enough to see it was a Griffon & I’m not a birder by any stretch of the imagination.