Shared Resources

I glad someone had a look. The big glossy productions do have the advantage of reaching a bigger audience. One covering this topic with its all its consequences might just start things moving.
A lovely sparkly blue sea covers a multitude of horrors .

The water is pristine as there are very few lowland silt laden river estuaries in the area.
It is technically possible to farm in that way without local impact. The problem is the cost.

Guides to centipede, millipede and woodlouse identification

Keys & Identification Guides | British Myriapod and Isopod Group (bmig.org.uk)

Re Scotland’s Barrier Reef video. Short term economic interests always trump any meaningful long term planning.

I found this photo useful on occasions when Bee anatomy is described.

3 Likes

Do you know the copyright status or give a link to the image

There is a web link at the top of the image.

The link is visible in the screenshot. It’s from the US National Park Service. The small print in the lower left says NPS Illustration, so it would seem to be, as a product of the US government, in the public domain.

Know your Naturalists - Albertus Seba (1665–1736)
Dutch pharmacist, zoologist and naturalist.
In 1700, he opened an ‘apothecary shop’ in Amsterdam and collected exotic plants and animal products from sailors and ship surgeons from which he could make ‘medicines’.
In 1716, he sold his first collection (as well as the Dutch botanist Frederik Ruysch’s collection) to the Russian Tsar, Peter the Great, on his visit to the Netherlands. Seba immediately set about building an even larger collection.
In 1734, he published his magnificently illustrated four-volume Thesaurus (1734, 1735), with 446 plates (2 volumes published posthumously), which displays marine animals, insects and reptiles. Linnaeus must have seen this collection when he visited Seba twice in 1735.
Seba became a Fellow of Royal Society in 1728.
From CASABIO Sebaea exacoides | CasaBio

Know your Naturalists - Jacob Bobart (1599–1680)
of Bobartia indica:, German botanist and the first horti praefectus (superintendent, head gardener) of the Oxford Physic Garden; which cultivated medical herbs; the first garden of its kind in England.
He was the author of Catalogus Plantarum Horti Medici Oxoniensis, sci Latino-Anglicus et Anglico-Latinus (1648); a catalogue of 1600 plants that were in the garden.
His son, Jacob Bobart the Younger (1641–1719), succeeded his father as horti praefectus and became acting professor of botany at Oxford.

From CASABIO bobartia-indica

wonder if that is available online

It was well hidden (not at Biodiversity Heritage Library or Gallica, or brought up on a general web search, but going to Google Books directly found it.)

(Google Books)

You have to X the online display of the book to uncover the download PDF link

Need to brush up on my Latin.

@Luisa

2 Likes

The link was already in my iSpotlight (Bumble bees) which has had 4 reads in nearly three months

A really good and interesting reference. Wonder how many times the original was accessed?

Cup lichens and reindeer mosses

Cladonia: a field guide | JNCC Resource Hub

2 Likes

That’s a nice link. It has been in here since 2017 but no-one seems to know or bother
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/754422/

1 Like

Thanks, L’guy, The Cladonia guide, (1992) has very good diagrams.
Current names can be checked out here
https://britishlichensociety.org.uk/resources/species-accounts-index/c

though I don’t think there have been any recent changes to any of those listed in the JNCC pdf. But as we know, it always worth checking when choosing an ID from any key.

@JoC suggested that I should mention
https://ebird.org/home
I suspect that most active birders will already be aware of this resource. It comprises a comprehensive global database of bird sightings which are searchable by species and location. You can enter your own sightings and then search them in a huge variety of ways. E.g. If I want to know what birds I saw in Portugal in March 2014, I can easily do so. Or I can look at an illustrated checklist of the birds of Honduras. There are also sound resources and interactive maps which show the migration of many species (mostly in the Americas thus far). I find it a fascinating resource.
Another interesting innovation is the designation of ‘hot spots’, where you can examine what the seasonal bird patterns are of all the different bird species. These hot spots are nominated by birders as being particularly productive places for birds. To choose one at random, more or less, https://ebird.org/hotspot/L973573
Cornell University have put a lot of money into developing this resource. I wish that it could be expanded to include other taxonomic orders because, presumably, most of the work on the software would be just as relevant.

2 Likes