Software for mapping species

Was just looking at your Brighton Hove records | Project | Observations Map | Page 1 | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature project. The area now has over 1100 observations.
If anyone is particularly interested in the data it is possible for me to extract the information. Eventually the data should find its way to NBN anyway.
If you or others in the area to focus on the map and note any observations that are of particular interest or wrong in some way and write a note on them for the user as feedback. For example I see there are some in the sea when they should not be and I suspect some others are not in the place they claim to be.

My only experience of Rustington, nature-wise, was some birdwatching - the beach was good. Perhaps the waders were attracted by all the marine organisms.
Sorry, I know thatā€™s a trivial comment in relation to what Iā€™m sure is a highly professional academic survey.

If you go there over the weekend, maybe it is better to use the following linkā€¦ https://ethz.academia.edu/BarbaravanCleve
Then you can see all four publications that are out so far.

Thatā€™s not trivial at all. Iā€™m sorry to report that there were no birds actually in the research areas I worked on, probably I had chased them all away. But there are normally waders during the winter (Sanderlings and oystercatchers and turnstones), very often little egrets, I have seen terns, but I did not get close enough to see which species they were, and then there are always some crows in the area.

there is an issue in there. Plenty of the observations are out to sea, few of those are accurate.
I fixed a couple last week, but you could help.
It got me thinking again as to the reliability of userā€™s Geography, considering you are preparing a submission to NBN

I spotted five of my observations where the pin in the map had moved to a single pixel on the map about 20 miles southeast of where I placed the pin at the time. The observations were made some years ago.
I recently moved the pins back to the correct places.
If that had happened near the coast the pins may well have ended up in the sea.

thatā€™s helpful. This is part of the current Map - Some, like offshore birds and fish, say, are correct

And the problem is across the board.
the title of this mushroom in On my Lawn (below)

Such things are probably infrequent - though not long ago we moved over 700 from the sea in Scotland.
I think @miked, you need to consider that many THOUSANDS are incorrectly located. Only those out to sea are easily seen and corrected.

Of course we (you and I) are currently looking at some (maybe hundreds) on the wrong continent!
There are plenty like https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/global/view/observation/780377/ (comments)

They are time consuming to correct - he was in the Azores the same day (next Observation). Also forgot to add Habitat. It is rarely as easy as that!

Noted. The maritime records are harder to confirm, but if any odd terrestrial records crop up do drop me a note.
Thereā€™s a small Brighton & Hove Wildlife community, and I know the area fairly well after 20+ years here.

cc: Profile - dejayM - iSpot Forum

Thanks, kind comment. I looked at my list of birds seen on Rustington Beach on eBird. Iā€™m not sure if it will copy or notā€¦ well sort of!
Northern Wheatear
30 Mar 2005

1. Sandwich Tern 

30 Mar 2005

1. Dunlin 

30 Mar 2005

1. Common Ringed Plover 

30 Mar 2005

1. Great Crested Grebe 

30 Mar 2005

1. Red-breasted Merganser 

30 Mar 2005

1. Brent Goose 

30 Mar 2005

1. Common Linnet 

25 Oct 2004

1. Sanderling 

25 Oct 2004

1. Ruddy Turnstone 

25 Oct 2004

1. Eurasian Oystercatcher

Apologies for late reply Kenneth. Added records to: www.brightonwildlife.com

#brightonwildlife #Hove #Brighton

1 Like

This project has been completed now. Five more papers were uploaded to Academia, here the link to the project, where you can find all the links to the nine Academia papers.

Thank you all for your help, your comments and your interest in this project.

1 Like

Congrats on completing the project and getting all the papers written!

Iā€™ve had a response from the Sussex Biodiversity Centre, and they are interested in the data. They have also passed the information on to the Sussex Wildlife Trust. The last paper ((PDF) Rustington Intertidal Project - Figures and Maps | Barbara van Cleve - Academia.edu) was downloaded by them and they requested further information about identifications of marine organisms on Rustington Beach. Thanks again for all your interest, help and encouragement.

Glad that it is being read by those who should read it!