REPATRIATION of data

Tony Rebelo writes “Dear s Afr iSpotter.
Our community has decided to join iNaturalist at www.inaturalist.org - SANBI has initiated the the repatriation of our data.”
What does this mean for those of us who don’t want to leave iSpot?
Will our observations, spanning years of interaction with others, be lost?
Please advise.

It means nothing at ths stage because iSpot is stonewalling.

You were on the committee that decided, so you very well know:

1. All southern African data will be repatriated. That is anyone who joined until Sept 2014, and all data from southern Africa.
  2. iSpot may well decide that users must also agree (not deceased one’s obviously). That would apply to anyone who joined anytime. Alternatively users may decide to opt out and stay at iSpot and not migrate.
  3. All data will remain here, unless the users themselves want to delete them. That is at the discretion of the user.

These terms still need to be negotiated in detail, but we have not heard from Open University yet.

Thanks for your reply Tony.
2. “Alternatively users may decide to opt out and stay at iSpot and not migrate”
OK that makes sense for me - but the logistics of the migration becomes an issue.
How are you going to relocate part of the data to iNat? eg comments, agreements by an individual who has stayed with iSpot and not registered with iNat ?

Here meaning iSpot? If that is so, I’m happy. and really all I wanted to know.

But your messages, that appear from time to time, don’t really reflect this.
see Cape Weaver nest | Observation | Southern Africa | iSpot Nature
Observed 20 October 2017 - Added 14 November 2017
Your comment “Please note we have moved to iNaturalist.” and “Dear s Afr iSpotter Our community has decided to join iNaturalist at www.inaturalist.org” - AND “SANBI has initiated the the repatriation of our data. Please consider joining us at iNat in our own community”
M

OK: strictly - a copy of the data will remain here.

Nice to see you popping in occasionally Tony.
I am receiving interesting daily Digests from iAfriNat. I will be back there low-level posting soon.

Should it read Za’s?