A PLEA (in 15 chrs)

See also BUGS, ERRORS and FAILURES. I only became aware of this after my previous reply. (Hoping that multiple replies will not have the same effect as multiple edits :wink:)

Watch out for characters such as # . / which might have crept in by mistake.
There are several places the bug can hit, but the most likely ones reported so far are:

• If your observation title has a character that is not allowed as a file name (dont ask me why this should matter)

But you say they was nicked? That suggests that they were there when you added the observation and then they vanished later. Is that correct.

Yes, thatā€™s correct. IIRC I put 2 photos in the original ob. Then added a third. Subsequently edited 3 or 4 times to add additional information as it came to hand. In the interim I had sent links to the ob to various interested parties (including the local biological recording centre) all of whom indicated that they had seen the photos. Last night, however, Derek (@dejayM) pointed out that the photos were no longer there. I have since replaced them.

Iā€™ve checked the filenames of all the photos I have of this specimen. They all strictly follow the naming formats described and have the common name Greater Horntail and the scientific name Urocerus gigas. The only non-alphanumeric characters are _, (, ) and space. None of these seem to have caused problems elsewhere.

Ian

I also noticed that the photos were not there after you posted your query - which must have been very shortly after you posted it. (if it had been in the s Afr community, I would have added a comment on the spot).

Where they there when you posted it? or might they have vanished some time ago? Your edit track unfortunately does not include timelines, so it could have vanished anytime from 2 August to 15 August. At least we know that this bug is entirely post the rewrite, and not some import problem (if that is any consolation).

Seen by me - thanks. Iā€™m going OUTSIDE - I may be some timeā€¦

Makes sense to upload them if you want to, doesnā€™t do any harm. Of course you risk wasting effort if iSpot does eventually restore the old ones so may not want to bother (Iā€™d probably not myself for that reason).

An agreement! Many thanks.

Ian

ANOTHER PLEA
find time after adding an Observation, to go to a few Other Observations of the same.
Agree where you can, comment where you canā€™t. I know, in theory no-one will see the Comment but who knows what effect it may have and it wonā€™t hurt

AND have some FUN - find TREASURE
there is still lots fun to be had here https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/738198/recent-observations-without-an-id
Pick a remote Observation, from somewhere youā€™ve always fancied, go there and knock it off! HURRY

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/734564/water-insect-foula

Iā€™ve added another photo showing the abdomen a bit better. A pity changes doesnā€™t work!

Ian

This must be a problem with other sites that try to be ā€œcleverā€ - surely someone has found a way around this. For the old iSpot I found this widget for chrome, for some of the pages not loading and needing to be refreshed:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/awesome-reload-all-tabs-b/kamfkajbgmjkfmfgcikbmbmpjfokfijk?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

But now we need an intelligent widget for this problem of delayed loading. Something that tricks the page into thinking that you are looking at it while you are still busy with earlier pages so that it is ready when you get there. Any ideas anyone?

Not really. I find the whole thing terribly tedious and thankfully I donā€™t have to do it nor have the inclination. One at a time for an hour allows me to sleep peacefully.
However Iā€™ve just done this - pretty? No, a mess but it worked. 20 came in and, as I played with one at full size, the others all loaded in. These are not Tabs of course but left click shifts. I would need lots of coffee to work like this and probably money!
I have a friend who works with two display screens - each with different windows open, his chair is on rollers, his wife left him, the house is a mess and he hardly ever changes his clothes. He is very knowledgeableā€¦

1 Like

Are we all too busy to spot this stuff https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/global/view/observation/726316/usps-tracking-usps-shipments-tracking
Found by my Projectā€¦Been there since June. Leave it for a while so that mā€™ point is made. No harm, UPS is OK - just! Iā€™ll kill it later tomorrow (Saturday).

dead!!!dead !!! yes dead is a complete sentence

Live a bit here maybe?
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/740395/marine-plant-id39s-to-be-some-discussion

doesnā€™t work too well when experts drop in and put names to observations one posted a year ago, I have around 700 moth posts which get IDā€™s added sporadically, say if a particular family gets looked at. Also if someone has IDā€™d a particular moth of mine and then I look up others with same ID sometimes I come across misidentifications that can have a better name suggested, these arenā€™t necessarily recent posts either.

1 Like

:neutral_face:

ā€¦nor is it any use for those observations from the dim and distant past eg https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/738637/unidentified-western-palaeoarctic-plants which I and others are slowly working through in order to get a Likely ID for everything (within reason, of course) - and especially where we get experts/referees commenting on species long after the observation is made: I have a couple of Symphytums where we now have a definitve ident which differs from the Likely ID - but no way of changing that Likely ID to what the identification SHOULD be until those who posted the observation and previously commented on the ID are alerted to this change and can agree with the new ID. I THINK that makes senseā€¦

I hope that when Changes is reenabled they can backdate them to the original changeover, so you can see everything that has happened over he last couple of months, or whatever.

You have ā€˜disappearedā€™ them by adding the ID.
It does make sens but there are dozens, made before the crash, that have been ignored by ā€˜epertsā€™
All you need now is a few ā€˜plantsmenā€™ (scuse me Jo) to add agreements to shift likely - we can find a way to get others to help. We need a clever project Likelyā€™s that need shifting
But link them here and I will help, maybe others will. I am happy to properly research before agreeing
And

Take care what you wish for - we will DROWN in the backdates and Iā€™ve left some pretty rude comments too!
:grinning:

I will post the symphytums which are missing an agreement in order to make them ā€˜Likely IDā€™ once weā€™re finished with the project - and then (assuming you agree with the ID, of course) maybe you/Lavateraguy can do the necessary!