for iSpot southern Africa we have stats to June 2017 (we launched in June 2011) is:
4 670 users (who have contributed - not registered users who have only registered - but any contribution - ID, agreement, observation or comment)
313 513 observations
I dont have any stats on pictures anymore but it was 1.5M pictures in early 2016
We focus on IDs and we have:
381 566 IDs (obviously only one is correct per observation, althogh some can be nested - e.g. ID1 = Scarabeidae, ID2 = Scarabus, ID3 = Scarabus capensis)
495 954 agreements of IDs.
And we average about 4 hours to half observations identified (a cheat since lots come in with IDs already), 80% within a day, 90% within a week, 95% within a month - the remaining 5% tend not to be identified for a very long time.
For southern Africa we have observations for
28 749 taxa, of which 21 081 are at species level (the others are to family, tribe or genus or higher rank). So technically over 5 years we have recorded about 10% of our species, over half of plants, most non-fish vertebrates, but are not doing very well in fungi (although alien macrofungi are quite good). A major gap identified is our Lichens - the vast majority of our lichens are not identified beyond being a lichen. Insects are an issue in that in most cases ID beyond generic level requires dissection, although some of our really keen amateurs are showing that this might well be a limitation of previous methodology and that many species can be identified from photographs but existing keys and monographs are not geared to readily allowing this. And of course, contributors need to be trained on what features need to be included in the observations for any particular group - but most contributors are really keen if they get feedback and deliver remarkable results.
But our data collapsed with the bad Sept 2014 update and never really recovered, and this June 2017 update has been even more disastrous. A major restriction in southern Africa is that everyone wants to use apps from their cellphones and iSpot does not allow this. The vast majority of Users are not interested in working from the computer, but live on their cellphones. iSpot is cellphone friendly, but only if you uses the website and the display is quite clunky. Allowing apps will greatly increase data input. SANBI has a whole lot of apps ready to role, but the OU wont allow it at present. The delays in rolling out these apps has seen at least 4 major southern African data recording initiatives dump iSpot and use other platforms, as well as three new Citizen Science sites started up during this period. We estimate about 250-500k observations lost over the last two years as a consequence of this.
(We did have a statistics page with half yearly updates, but the iSpot June 2017 rewrite has abandoned the forums and the data are no longer readily accessible).
iSpot southern Africa has spawned a field guide to Ants - which "would not have been possible without iSpot" - see