AI and iSpot: a spotlight on FASTCAT-Cloud

I am really fed up with seeing the Plantnet ID panels and would like them to stop now. If it is mainstreamed have I missed the evaluation of the trial including contributor comment?

Frequency of first choice not in the dictionary is considerable
Related - species offered often are not UK species
Three offers sometimes when all three are from another dictionary or two are very unlikely
Likelihood is not considered - a good feature of the app
Imagery is often poor and unhelpful

PlantNet is a useful app on my phone but this is completely different from a user’s viewpoint
This site generally is not a post -and -go place - there is often context and rationale for taxon decisions given by contributors and that is a valuable thing which the Plantnet panel potentially discourages

The review and write up has to be completed before the end of Feb, might be done sooner e.g. by end of Jan. There are large numbers of things being written at present so it is difficult to be more precise.

Several people have said they use plantnet app but don’t like the way it is working on iSpot. There have been some suggestions about how it could work better on iSpot but any other suggestions may also be useful.

Personally I am always asking to save space on pages, the more compact the better so long as things are readable. In my view the suggestion from plantnet could be 1/3 the size it is now (e.g. at present it is arranged a particular way and has text about the trial), potentially it could also be modified to show more geographically relevant names perhaps with button to ask for global if it is likely to be a garden plant or if the observation is tagged with garden habitat, should not be used for species groups such as mosses and seaweeds, have an ‘off’ button if you don’t want to see it etc. Some of these items are possible, others may be difficult or impossible with current setup, also those are just some of my views, we want to hear views from a wider range of people.

I’ve found PlantNet useful as a starting point but I always restrict it to Western Europe - not unreasonable for UK observations. I find many of the PlantNet suggestions being posted in iSpot to be so unlikely that they become an irritating waste of space. I do recognise, however, that this area of AI / machine learning is in its infancy and that it is pretty much inevitable that we will have to go through a phase where poor results are the norm and, conversely, an accurate hit is a cause for wonder; roll on the time when this situation is reversed (and give us the wisdom to recognise when this happens.)

As a fully paid-up cynic, I do sometimes wonder if iSpot is being used as a training platform by PlantNet rather than PlantNet being used by iSpot to suggest identifications.

irritating [Thistle] is the least of it for me.
@miked IF the report is already being written WHY is the trial not modified? It is apparently running blind and untended.
There is true mileage in a reformat - honest

Code it so it ONLY offers NHM Index IDs (it is not appearing Global Observations)
Code seaweeds OUT because it is seriously damaging P&Ns reputation
We have gone this far so why not run a SHORT (well managed) trial of a front-end filter, through which we (those interested), can go, to get a suggested ID. Newbies here would probably relish the IDea.

This surely is the aim - to have an (optional, I hope) AI-ID filter in iSpot?
Like everyone who adds a response, I LIKE the App. I’d like to claim that I do not need it, MUCH preferring to do my own research and show it in my Observations.

Did you know that a few users ARE testing ID AI in the field? There is a tag which now gathers quite a few Demos
I’d like to give you an INTERNAL link to the collection but it is over 200 stupid digits long - can that be fixed @Chris_Valentine? (here in the forum it is converted to a manageable Observations | List | UK and Ireland | Page 1 | iSpot Nature BUT NOT in the Main site
Open this to see the tag
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/854681/

The report writing people are very busy writing several large reports, the programmers are busy updating behind the scenes software (a very large task) so we have no capacity at moment to alter things.

But, isn’t it time for someone on the Development Team to say HERE how things have gone and how the next phase might be implemented. And surely it’s time to stop the current trial?
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/855217/

We were previously told that a script was being scheduled manually. If that is still the case pausing the trial would reduce the workload. Even if the script is now automatically scheduled, turning it off should only take a few minutes.

We can understand that the OU may not have the resources to immediately rework the PlantNet integration; what isn’t understood is why the OU doesn’t recognise that the trial as implemented has failed and pause it. You make it sound as if the obstacle is bureaucracy.

In the distant past when doing such things, a few C’s in the right place in a script would soon disappear the offending call. Normal practice is surely to stop data collection when you are in the analysis and report writing phase. That’s what we used to do, but maybe things have changed. I would be writing the script to remove the PlantNet comments, but there you go.

I think Miked’s comment on the situation is apposite.
“*we have no capacity at moment to alter things.”

I think that I’m correct in saying that when Fast Feline makes a suggested ‘observation’ of a bird’s ID, nothing appears on ‘change tracker’. I have found by chance that a couple of my bird photos have been correctly agreed but I had no notification of a ‘comment’ appearing. That would be useful, and also would help to evaluate the success or otherwise of the fast cat.

I was impressed that Fastcat got this one right
 Shy nuthatch | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature

1 Like

Following Surreybirder’s recent comments here (FastFeline – I like it) I been thinking about how to use the current Automated Identification project as an opportunity for me to learn more and support posts and posters.

I have made a couple of comments already on « Plantnet suggestions » . One where I had the opportunity to see a « suggestion» (which was unlikely given its distribution) of a vetch from a place I am unlikely to visit personally.

It has also sharpened my thoughts on why a particular « Plantnet suggestion » is unlikely even if the location is possible, i.e. what feature(s) makes me fairly sure that it is not as PN suggests.

I see some enjoyable times ahead.

1 Like

You are quite correct - am fixing this now so the next run of each should add the relevant activity records. Well spotted!

Great - thanks very much, Chris.

It seems that, at last, the PlantNet Contributions are sending out Changes Flags - about time and thanks
Is it the case for Mammals and Birds?
@miked @Chris_Valentine
My first plant was today

2 Likes

and “discussion by the iSpot Admin Team, to help us decide what next.” Oct 2022

I am again VERY close to removing BOTH the ‘comment’ and the tag. I find it very disruptive needing to respond - was that the idea?
These appear to be of NO value to the User nor the Developer.
It is TIME for the trial to enter Phase 2 and for a performance summary of Phase 1.
I may be the only one analysing results. It is increasingly correct but still has a MAJOR flaw of offering IDs not found in the UK.
NO-ONE is reading comments made after the intervention (apparently), nor are many people responding TO the AI suggestions.
It would be fair to assume that users in iSpot are not very interested in AI ID
I am on my THIRD AI Project, the two previous ones were discontinued though lack of interest and without SINGLE response from the Developers.
The third project is not much favoured
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/865652/

This is the first time I’ve noticed FASTCAT-cloud automated suggestions using an iSpot photo in another iSpot observation. See David Howden’s 2022 observation of a Shrew. https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/854697/shrew-with-water
The FASTCAT photo is from a 2015 observation of a Shrew trapped inside a discarded can: https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/516289/shrew-on-the-sauce

FASTCAT doesn’t send images back to iSpot - only species selections. The code will show the image from the “best” observation (at that time) for the identified species, which in turn is determined by the Likely ID tag and number of agreements.

Both FASTCAT and Pl@ntNet comments are static - that is, once added to an observation, they never change.

I am surprised to read, above, that David Howden’s 2022 observation of a Shrew, uploaded to ispot, has been used by FastCat.

Ispot has this on Copyright. “All you’re doing by putting your photos up is saying it’s OK to use them on the site. “

I read elsewhere, that FastCat is integrated with ispot. Does that mean it’s an ispot only app? .
Does it have other partners using it? If so, how does that fit with our copyright?

AI was one thread of a European citizen science project called Cos4Cloud (now finished) from which we received the funding that’s paid for all of iSpot’s development over the past few years. We wanted to apply AI to citizen observations to assist with species identifications.

The two systems - FASTCAT and Pl@ntNet - have a different history. Pl@ntNet was a pre-existing system that citizens were already using, whereas FASTCAT’s development started as a camera trap project.

Neither of these systems were trained with images from iSpot. I may not have been clear in my previous post but neither system “uses” iSpot images - it merely processes them and compares what it sees with their own internal models. The big difference is that FASTCAT’s models only contain bird and mammal species that are in the iSpot species dictionary (which was updated once during this period), whereas Pl@ntNet has a much larger species dictionary, which is why you sometimes see “not in the iSpot dictionary” - these are usually species found more often in mainland Europe. The links you see as part of the comments containing the AI results point to entries in iSpot’s own dictionary; the images you see are from iSpot for FASTCAT identifications and from Pl@ntNet for its IDs.

We have looked at our terms of use a number of times over this time period to make sure we’re not using images beyond the rights we claim when images are uploaded.