AND NOW? Carousel mislinking

I’m told modern coding methods make it quicker and easier to fix errors in complicated applications - which means it’s also quicker and easier to introduce new ones.
I’m afraid the bigger pictures are out of iSpot’s control: camera makers are delivering more pixels every year and most observations are posted exactly as they come from the camera.

Not true that it is out of iSPots control. What you say is correct for the original pictures, but all sites nowdays create thumbnails, 10th sreen pictures and quarter screen pictures which are used for content and the originals are only available from some instances of these. So this does not apply.

I was not referring to bigger pictures, but more content downloaded. The old iSpot loaded hardly anything excessive, but the modern site seems to anticipate things and loads extra stuff that slows download times, fills up caches and executes slowly. A right pain!

Pathetic, I’m tired of this rubbish. Now I’m even thinking twice about contributing IDs.

Have you done the survey?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FPPRF2C

IMHO repatriating the data, and removing it from the OU’s servers, should be seperate questions.

Round here, response times slow to disconnection point at some times of day, so I assume the problem’s mainly that my neighbours are taking up all the bandwidth.

Yes, but read the options: there are two -

• repatriate with removing data
  • repatriate without removing data

at the moment the majority favour repatriation without removing the data.
That could change.

Yes and no.
If iSpot were efficient then your neighbours would not interfere with your enjoyment.
But iSpot is both slow and sends too much content: so the issue might not be only your neighbours.

Flickr’s a good test of the effect of downloading full-fat pictures (never mind uploading them - it’s awful for that). Some sites are exasperating but even with its present issues iSpot doesn’t really take the biscuit.
If I could set priorities I’d want them to start by fixing the Community Trap, where you look at something colourful in Global and your next observation goes to Global - and you can’t change it afterwards. Whyever not?

1 Like

I think it’s time to give up iSpot as a bad job.

if you are from southern Africa, ,please take our quiz: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FPPRF2C