Birds on the coastline of the Western Cape

Lovely pics and an easy reference - all so familiar

1 Like

Mainly for @Luisa a link worth browsing.
Lovely bird pics https://birdingafrica.com/tours/
M

Also interesting that the species are changing so quickly with those Egyptian geese which are also becoming more familiar in UK.

Yes, we see Egyptian geese here too (Canary Wharf and East India Dicks)

Thank you Marlandza, I will enjoy looking through those!

Love the African oystercatchers. Quite similar to the American black oystercatcher, but with gaudier legs!

Oystercatcher - Wikipedia interesting range of oystercatchers, wondering why black and white in some areas and all black in others and red legs vs not red.

You could ask similar questions about many groups of birds - avocets, nuthatches, thrushes, etc. I suspect that there is a largely random pattern to species mutation but then enviornmental and other factors weed out the forms that don’t give an increased chance of survival.

https://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/variable-oystercatcher
Interesting to find what causes this species to be different colours in different areas, think I have seen different morphs together in some places. Here is an all black one Variable Oyster Catcher | Observation | Global | iSpot Nature

Try browsing to see birds from other countries -

Love their call - they would visit the rocky shore in front of our home at Sunny Cove - we’d hear them call at night, possibly disturbed by poachers in the wee-small hours - or naval divers on night exercises,

Did you know?
Longevity and mortality
The lifespan of an African oystercatcher is about 35 years, of which they are known to pair up for 25 years.
Status
As of December 2017 the global IUCN assessment of the African oystercatcher’s status is “Least Concern”. The population trend seems to be upward as the local community becomes more involved in adopting conservation measures. In South Africa, the species has also been downlisted to Least Concern. A long-term program by the South African Ringing Scheme is tracking the dispersal of ringed birds to keep conservation assessments in South Africa and Namibia up to date.
WIKIPEDIA

Good that the African Oystercatcher is of least concern. I wonder how the other species are faring. I’d look it uop but I’m visually impaired at the moment.

Sorry about the vision thing - I work with an array of magnifying tools - and still make typos.

1 Like

Sorry to read that Ken, you’ve said “at the moment” so hoping it’s a temporary thing for you. Best wishes.

Thanks, Luisa. I’ve had corrective surgery and so far the signs are good. They’ll do my other eye when this one has settled down in about six months time I think. Very gtateful to the NHS for excellent high quality free care!!

1 Like