BUGS, ERRORS and FAILURES

STill cant set a marker on map!!!
As mentioned before, I still could not set a marker on the map for an obs. As the map opens not in Southern africa but world, the first thing I have to do is to ZOOM IN. I DO THIS WITH 2 FINGERS DRAG ON A MBP RUNNING 10.11.6. MY BROWSER IS FIREFOX. I THAN CAN DO WHAT EVER I WANT BUT THE “HAND” WILL NOT GO AWAY . TO PUT IN A LOCATION IS THE ONLY OPTION AND TO BE HONEST I DON’T CARE ANYMORE IF IT IS RIGHT.
THE NEW SITE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TESTED AS BETA BY ADVANCED USERS AND BUGS FIXED BEFORE IT WAS INTRODUCED TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. AS IT IS AT THE MOMENT, SLOW, HALF FINISHED, AND WITH THE CHANGE SECTION ( MOST LIKELY THE MOST USED FEATURE FOR THE AVERAGE USER AND GUEST) STILL MISSING, ONE HAS PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE AND MADE THIS SIDE UNUSABLE FOR MOST.

3 Likes

i have just found this on the Front Page dated July 4 (sorry if I seem dozy)
“Could you give us an ETA on the implementation of the Track and Changes?” vynbos
_"Hi - I cannot give you an ETA for this quite yet, but please be re-assured that we are looking at this functionality right now. It’s not a case of simply re-enabling the feature, as the new site is now on different technologies from the old site; we need to re-develop the functionality. The benefit of this will be that we can build a much more useable and flexible feature that isn’t constrained and slowed down by the old Drupal CMS. First thing is first, we need to get something in place that allows you all to see what activity has taken place. _
The team have put in a huge effort to get us to the point where we have a site which is sustainable and fit for the future, as opposed to no site at all. We do appreciate your patience, feedback and support … please stick with us!"
Is from Kevin McLeod https://forum.ispotnature.org/u/kevmcleod/summary

I added this post today and wanted to record my findings.

This post has 5 photos.
I tried to upload all 5 at once. Four attempts failed, each time taking an age to upload and never finishing. One time I received and error 500.

On the last occasion, I uploaded the 5 photos one at a time, it worked first time.

FYI only

looking from here, I suspect you might be near the Max size for upload (there IS one). Certainly your pix are large and take a good while to load and to become ‘active’ in your Observation - Fullsize and Zoom take a while to load.
Reduce a few pictures to about half - most photo-progs do that but remember to save as a different version and not overwrite the originals. then try a new whole post. Well worth a try

Interesting that there is a limit.

I have always tried to follow the advice given by Rachy on this site to take a number of pictures of the subject. This is (or was) actually referred to as the correct way to create a “good” Ispot obs.

My own preference is to “not have the technology dictate the process”. By this I mean that if we can agree on what constitutes a good Ispot ID, then the technology needs to be in place to support this.

For example, Let’s say I’ve found a plant that I want to ID, I’ve read the books and I think it is a Hedge Woundwort. I describe: the location, the stem, the leaves and their arrangement, hairyness, flowers, fruits etc. In order to convince my audience that this is a correct ID, I would use pictures as evidence that this is indeed what I said it was.

It’s not clear to me how we can keep the peer review process working as it has unless I can present my complete findings for the experts to review and comment.

I’m sure the Ispot team and their User_Expert team (which I hope they have), will come up with the best way forward.

The interpretation that I would put on what is written above is that there is a limit on a single upload, not on the observation. If so, in some ways we’re better off than with the old version, where you had to upload images one by one. (The next older version allowed you to specify all the images one by one and then upload them all at once, which was a smoother process.) In other ways we’re worse off than with the old version, in that we don’t know whether an upload will complete. (If there is a limit it would be better to enforce it before starting the transfer.)

1 Like

Again, from recollection only, the file limit was 1gb. Just FYI.

Edit : my recollection was 1gb limit per photo.

I know there is a limit on the total number of photos in one entry (10). Is the limit here on the size of one photo or on the total size of all the photos uploaded (which given it is no more than 10 means 100MB per photo, still a pretty hefty photo size)?

So far I’m working round the number of photos limit by splitting entries into two (e.g. https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/725481/ and https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/732424/) but that is hardly optimal.

David…I have been to your post and added this comment but you may not see it.

• are you saying that the Description panel no longer accepts your comments (Edits) “… to provide additional data”?
    And dare I suggest, that as some of your pics are very similar to others, can you delete one or two and replace them with possibly more valuable ones?

I am going to test with a post of low-byte pictures to see where the limits might be. I do not expect a post to be limited by text but by picture-size and number of illustrations.

Hi Tony,
My projects have all been corrupted due to the user filter having been emptied so the projects now include a vast number of unwanted posts.

re-reading your comment - where does one find the official ZA bug list?

As far as I can tell if a post is a ‘legacy’ one from the old iSpot with more than the permitted 10 images the entry is allowed to continue to exist. However you cannot edit the entry and save it as the system treats that as trying to create a new database entry with more than 10 images. So basically any too large entries from the old iSpot are frozen unless you delete sufficient images to allow them to work.

As far as I can tell this 10 item limit is separate from the 1GB limit that Mike Q refers to.

Here is the post The Easiest Seaweed | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature. the maximum number of Illustration is ten. Mine had an average size of 700kb. But I removed one and replaced it with a 7.5Mb one which was accepted. This means that one can add better pictures any time.
My Description notes are very LONG and can be edited anytime and where Hyperlinks can safely be placed to be updated any time.
Hyperlinks in ID Notes should be avoided at all costs. Comments, though, as the Observation ages will become useful, cannot be edited, so links there should also be avoided,
I edited the post a few times, moving a failed hyperlink FROM the Location Panel - another place easy to edit.
All in All I MUST say that POSTING is as much fun as it was in the Bright Days
I like the Enlarge Location Panel aspect
Most images in the post are reduced to less than a quarter - a chore but I don’t think it necessary EXCEPT if you want people to load in your post quite quickly. Does it? And can you tell WHICH is the 7Mb pic?
I have added some DoublePix and now have 11 illustrations in the Post - I will add more in my next test post

FINALLY (here) if you have a project that needs editing and it has more than ten Project (not observation) pictures then an Edit will FAIL unless you reduce the number of Project pictures to ten. My old Seaweeds one has 25 lovely ones!

1 Like

correction: it was 10Mb per photo, number of photos unlimited.

It appears that compatability with older computer systems has been lost. I contacted the county VC recorder as I noted his absence, and it appears that he can’t log in due to iSpot using a protocol not supported by his system. I don’t know the details, but a quick google suggests that Chrome and IE on XP wouldn’t work. (Backwards compatability with SSL was removed from the TLS specification in 2011.)

1 Like

Location maps are no longer showing scale bars. (I don’t know whether this changed with the relaunch; it’s possible that the change is at Google Maps rather that at iSpot.)

1 Like

Well spotted!!! BUG NUMBER #472

Many thanks: we need that reinstated.

And a chance to reiterate Bug #65 - the map does not remember if you want it in Satellite or Map mode. Most infuriating.

I know it doesn’t work on my computer at work when I try to take a look at lunchtime, although since that is Internet Explorer 7 that is hardly surprising.

Sorry if I’m repeating another report, but I tried last night to access iSpot from two Android devices (phone and tablet). I hadn’t tried this for the list of observations since the update. I couldn’t use either: I repeatedly got an “unresponsive script” error.
I can get into the forum, but it’s painfully slow: here I get “timed out” errors when moving between topics.
I assume I’m doing something wrong.