BUGS, ERRORS and FAILURES

Another problem is finding an old observations.

I was looking for an old observation of Erica cerinthroides which was made by me over two years ago. I typed in “Erica cerinthroides Andrewm” and later “Andrewm Erica cerinthroides”

In both searches, I could see that I had posted an observation, but when I clicked the link, I was directed to the page Erica cerinthroides but not my own pictures.

The page then shows “recent observations” of Erica cerinthroides.

If I had to trawl through my pics to find the one I was looking for, I would have to look through about 1000 observations (and others have far more observations than me). This is annoying, as quite often I make notes on my observations to assist me to remember e.g. varieties, or subspecies etc.

1 Like

Searches are now useless as they include taxonomy, & if you put them in date order the large groups come to the top, eg https://www.ispotnature.org/search?query=extraordinary
Also the numbers in each category don’t make sense, eg for https://www.ispotnature.org/search?query=ecuador “all” has 17, “identifications” has 45 & “taxonomy” 11.
& when you sort “all” by date instead it gives 13

Ignore. I have found the way to do it here is a different method to what was previously used, but is equally effective.

In the observation I linked to an identification by a person with 3 stars (and no agreements) was marked as the Likely ID, even though there was an subsequent identification from a person with 5 stars. So it’s not as simple as just changing the threshold.

Searches are for beginners. You should be beyond that.

Go to Explore Community Observations.
Click Filter Community Observations.
Use ONLY!!!
Species = Erica cerinthoides (you will need to choose var cerinthoides)
User = Andrewm
Apply

(if you want only one older than 2 years, then add the date filter to the above)
It would be nice to order the observations (for instance (both up and down): date posted, date observed, ID certainty, number of comments, number of agreements, number of reads; also: observer, ID, taxon level of ID)

I was about to tell you the same as Tony just has. I applied filtering to the Southern Africa community gallery by filtering on taxonomy (Erica cerinthoides) and user (Andrewm), and got two observations returned. Unfortunately when I cut and pasted the resulting URL, and placed it there, following it took me to an empty gallery, so I’m deleting the URL.

Now that is fascinating.

So the new filters match are not exact matches but partial matches: I had not realized that (they were not on the old iSpot = they were exact matches). Thanks: I had not realized that

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Your URL worked perfectly: here it is
(Scientific = Erica cerinthoides and User = Andrewm)
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/observations/gallery?page=1&filters=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
and here is what I suggested:
(Scientific = Erica cerinthoides var. cerinthoides and User = Andrewm)
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/observations/gallery?page=1&filters=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%3D

I’ve just tried both links from your post, and neither works for me. Strange.

The iSpot V3 programmers have the elegance of a hippo in a china shop. Why could it not simply be:
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/observations/gallery?page=1&filters=sciname:Erica%20cerinthoides;user=Andrewm (this wont work!!)

1 Like

Oh!!! You are correct.

Dont click on the URL: it wont work - opening it on the same page gives a blank.
Use your mouse-wheel-click (or use the right-mouse-button > open-in-a-new tab) and it will work!

A bug???

An example we can get our teeth into: https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/southern-africa/view/observation/728163/no-legs-on-his-frog

Bushboy with four herp badges (ca 200 votes)
TRUMPS
Joubert with three fish badges (ca 100 votes) and Agreement: tony rebelo with four herp badges (200 votes).

Two bugs here: iSpot is muddling fish and herp badges in ID two.

If we look at the badge situation
Bushboy - herps: 4 and fish 2
Joubert - herps: 4 and fish 3 + Tonyrebelo - herbs 4 and fish 3 = herps 8 and fish 6

There is no ways that Bushboys ID can be likely ID no matter how you look at it.

Do I remember that you were asking for Synonyms to be shown - Tony? Either way I see it as a mistake and do not like the new system much anyway. I am not a good tester at the moment because I am fed up - fed up, do you hear?
And this ‘reply system’ here is useless. You’ll get notified yes but you’ll have to trawl back to find the question!

1 Like

Yes: they must be shown, but not like this!
Also I am not sure what happens if you disagree and post a synonym.

A slightly different matter but I have just added an ID and note that although the species is linked there is no likely ID banner.

I will email you a screenshot.

It is now that someone has agreed. I removed it again, so that we could see the ID without one, but alas!. Maybe then I owe you an apology!
Tony if you are forwarding stuff to the OU team, I have this exploding package…

1 Like

Exploding package: no - we do have a few friends and allies: it is the others that we want to crucify not our sympathisers.

Not a problem: we have a screen grab illustrating it all.

I’m wondering if these Likely ID issues are just happening to me. Please say if any other observations show similar bugs.