Dictionary anomalies

I think we’ve had this problem before, with a different species. The hyphen in the name poisons the script which finds matching entries in the database. See

I have come across a problem…
This is a post from France. Brown Marmorated Shieldbug Nymph | Observation | Global | iSpot Nature
I was able to say, after checking the (Pentatomidae) Halyomorpha halys
website that I would agree…
But the ID box was not properly formed so I drafted a comment explaining the problem and the use of the Add a Revised ID…However, and this is strange, when I tested Add a Revised ID H. halys didn’t show up in the global dictionary. H. halys is in the UK dictionary.
So then I did an iSpot search for Halyomorpha halys and found one obervation that was actually a gall that had been accidentally compromised (if that is the right word). Pittosporum gall | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature
So I didn’t post the draft comment; I am at a loss to help the poster, but I have faith that one of you can.

The basionym is Pentatoma halys, but that’s also not in the global dictionary. Using the epithet alone in the identification box finds the epithet used for a snake and for a chalcid wasp, but no other synonyms of this species.

yes, Jo. I did that during dictionary testing.
But I hope I have made amends in BOTH

Ziggy. Last week I did not know this species existed. Then I read a reference in this forum. Now, today, we have seen our own Ziggy.
I have posted it at Ziggy | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature
Thank you, Invertebratologists; earlier in the month the Ivy Bee, now the Missing sector orb spider.
Is it possible that there is more out there I have yet to notice?

1 Like

… and it is apparently not just insects …

Nothing new
These have all been reported dozens of times, even in this Thread. The error reporting system in ALL test sites is crammed full of Dictionary issues that have not been dealt with and subsequently forgotten.
I encountered new ones today that I have already forgotten, one was potentially serious but in the Glbal dictionary.
I now leave comments IN the Observation because no-one else seems very interested. I Did that today for Surreybirder
Here’s two
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/852997/
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/global/view/observation/838015/
which were still in my tracker
No-one is listening properly, similar to the PlantNet trial
If I write an INDEXED Project called Dictionary Anomalies, would anyone from Admin support it? Doubtful.
Shall I begin?

Is this one relevant?
Two apparently identical IDs produce different taxonomic trees (and hence linked observations):

But I’m still waiting for the coffee to brew, so may be missing the point.
Updated: just seen the comment on one of the related, also re-identified, posts (though still puzzled):

One of those is a sub-genus, we are not certain how to choose it
Don’t choose it if you mean plain genus - the first in the drop-down is plain Genus
Check which you are agreeing to

Clavulina is classed as an Other Organism as opposed to Fungi & Lichens.

See reply in that observation itself

Thanks for the clarification Mike

I have been pointing out for over a decade that Chrysolina polita is not Knotgrass Leaf Beetle. I don’t know what is. Maybe Gastrophysa polygoni which has no English name on iSpot. It isn’t just an iSpot issue - I see it in other datasets.

Try this at home (for dual genera)
Begin an Observation
Add only the name Prunella to the Sc. name box. Choose one of the two
The Group Box becomes populated - get it?
No need to complete the Observation
Try it again with Clavulina
You cannot do it like this when adding an ID to an existing Observation - just open a new test one.
I began an Index-linked Dictionary Issues project two weeks ago.
Did anyone respond?
John’s case above is an old one. When (if) using Chrysolina polita as an ID just remove the common name. Applies to any ID, common names can be changed or removed.
Just do not use the Common name as the basis for any ID, I think this has been mentioned before…
https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/chrysolina-polita
http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringbirds2/insectinfocuschrysolinapolita.htm

See Peacock (Aglais io) | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature

When I entered just the scientific name, I was told there were no results. Entering the common name brought up the correct species as the first option on the list.

This kind of thing quite often happens if you type the whole of the name but if you just start typing Aglais then it does show up Aglais io in the list of items you can choose.

In this case, as I often do, I cut and pasted the whole name and then started to delete characters from the end. iSpot usually detects the incomplete name and offers appropriate alternatives. That didn’t happen here: it just failed to recognise the name at all.

I suspect that it doesn’t look for matches until it has at least three characters in each part of the name.

Update: If you type in Aglais it offers Aglais io; add a space (still OK); add an i (it goes away); and stays gone when you get to Aglais io. But “Passer d” and “Passer do” work properly, so it’s not as simple as I thought. I still suspect it’s related to the problems with Polygonia c-album.

I commonly fail to get the drop-down when pasting in the whole Scientific name
Thistle has it, remove the last letter
Except in this case, remove io!

Maybe it struggles with the space in the name?