European bison arrive near Canterbury to manage woodland

European Bison: Fact file

• The European bison is slightly larger and longer-legged than the American bison, but is less heavy

• The European bison’s range originally extended eastward across Europe to the Volga River and the Caucasus Mountains

• It became extinct in the wild after World War One

• Herds were later established from zoo-bred animals in Belarus, Poland, Lithuania, Russia and Ukraine

Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica

Thanks So WHO will be the first to Observe one in England?
If I lived within a hundred miles I’d take a day trip
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/298719/ preview removed

1 Like

I used to wander all over the woods around that area when I lived in Kent, very rarely saw anyone or indeed much wildlife except in specific areas. With all the things that have been released there not sure how much wandering around I would do now, even if the larger animals don’t pose much of a risk the change to habitat and increase in ticks and mosquitos and associated diseases might.
[perhaps I am provoking discussion to say that]

we should be able to trust the action-Committees of Kent Wildlife Trust and the Wildwood Trust.

They will have to be very careful with the population density otherwise it will end up like a grazing field for domestic cattle where saplings just get cropped off.

I used to wonder on the chalk hills above Cosham - I think they allowed cattle to graze there - much like the 'controlled fires; at the Cape.
Loved the spot, with panoramic views of the sea, quite a lot of flowers - photographed my first UK orchid there.

Hope no one sees this as an invitation to hunt them!

1 Like

Broadening the Managing Woodland theme. The regular mantra « plant more trees » often ignores location. I thought this a useful article

1 Like