Favourites 2023

Nicer to hold I suspect but he s[pec is not much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOmk5WFdf9c

REGULAR FAVOURITES needed
There is a proposal, from the Curator, that a Monthly Home Page Item, perhaps called Observations or Photos of the Month, begins end of January in 2024, with maybe up to four photos/observations (taken or made in the specific month each time) A January trial then.
There are no specific suggestions yet as to how the item will be chosen but the idea involves a small team of monthly volunteers who, between them, propose photos or Observations, All get shown in a separate panel on the home page, perhaps, with reasons for the choice given, if it is not immediately apparent!
What to you think?
And will you volunteer to be one of say THREE judges for January.
I will be glad to coordinate the first choice team but not as a judge (first time)
So three volunteers needed for the first month

I really like this idea but would suggest the selection criteria be as open as possible so that anyone could be in with a chance of being nominated - including new users. I had even thought could we have something like ā€œnew user of the monthā€ like they do with the forum? That might give people an incentive to stay.

I too like the idea of an Observation of the Month and keeping the home page relevant. Just keep the process as simple as possible. Anyone could nominate their choice in this thread.

yes but someone will have to make ā€˜theā€™ decision. In the Southern African (iSpotza) version, it was voting in a Forum Item, led by the Curator. Submission were made before a date and voted for by users. That became Observation of the Month - it was driven from the Forum and the Observation of the Month was a bold home page Item
Iā€™d MUCH prefer to be just a user. It has to be run by the Curator who sets up the voting system.
there are far less users of the Forum than the the main site
Not many are adding a Favourite to this thread but I guess, that is how it might work
Add your nominations for December (must be a December Observation) before 31st.

If the three judges idea does not work (because not enough people volunteer to do it) then another option would be for anyone to nominate anything and send it to me via ā€˜contact usā€™ button and I would decide which to use.
There are two competing things here first wanting to be completely open and suggesting that the nominations are put in the forum for everyone to see but set against that is the ā€˜surpriseā€™ element of having the nominations sent to curator and everyone wanting to read the monthly front page item to see which observations were chosen.
In reality even when the ZA version was running I think there was often a shortage of nominations so often had to encourage people to take part.
Anyway lets try as dejay suggests to start off with and can always modify things as we go along.
Many years ago I won a wildlife photo competition a couple of times so was then encouraged to be a judge instead, might do this kind of thing here so those who produce the interesting observations may be encouraged to be the the ones selecting next months observations of the month and particularly look out for new people.

Soā€¦ can we have a New Thread Mike OBSERVATION of the MONTH (Mike?)
Also it MIGHT be worth tagging the ā€˜chosenā€™ ones so that all can be brought together next Christmas. Iā€™ll devise a tag in time.
Here are all the December Observations 159 so far - new ones are added automatically

Iā€™ve been hesitant about the idea of Obs of the Month but not because I donā€™t like it in principle. Iā€™m absolutely for a Home Page revamp that would give a much ā€œbolderā€ impression.
My qualms are related to what Mike has just written and come from something similar I was involved with on a now defunct gardening site. This wasnā€™t just gardening per se but also with groups like ā€˜wildlife in the gardenā€™, for example. It ran monthly and there was much enthusiasm to start with.
The ā€œJanuary winnerā€ would then choose the next monthā€™s ā€œwinnerā€ out of all the new photo submissions and so it carried on - until it didnā€™t because ultimately people stopped submitting photos or the ā€œwinnerā€ didnā€™t want to judge the next one.
Now submissions to iSpot arenā€™t going to stop but it will need a team to keep on top of the whole commitment. Will it mean votes or someone just picking one out of the monthā€™s new obs? Not everyone is a Forum user and quite honestly, I think the way to the Forum itself should be made more of a priority on the Home Page before OBSERVATION of the MONTH begins. The Forum is far too hidden away for my liking.
This will sound like Iā€™m not keen on the idea but it seems apparent at the moment that iSpotters have various priorities to attend to. Iā€™m not going to volunteer as yet and I apologise for the above being somewhat negative and a bit garbled.

1 Like

I think northernteacher makes some very valid points and indeed, I myself have not been very active on iSpot lately as Iā€™ve got lots going on. Iā€™d therefore be happy to judge on occasion but not on an ongoing basis. How about instead trialling it by doing nominations for the best obs related to one of the special days that iSpot seems to do - eg Christmas Day and the equinoxes? That way there would fewer occasions so less of a commitment but also the observations would be more ā€œcontainedā€ so easier to look through and nominate - just an idea.

Me too
i was hoping someone might say something like that. I was beginning to think I might be the only one who might have reservations (excuse my apparent keenness shown above).
I have said all along that ADMIN should revamps the whole HOME PAGE, properly and perhaps put up an Observation of the week (or longer but NOT so the item becomes stale). I have asked for that innumerable times and may have made myself unpopular (with Admin) in the process.
So I agree, another form Favouriting probably wonā€™t work. the one we have at the moment only just working and the concept of Exemplars may well be a step too far Very few people are supporting either.
Nowā€¦ I am not unhappy to help it along and will if there is some groundswell. Whatever happens it should be to ENHANCE the home page and suggest it should be read by newly-registered. as well as the older hands

1 Like

Possibly the difference here is that if the community runs out of steam there is still the curator to choose the next one but it would be good to let others have a go partly so they see that they can be involved if they want to.

Iā€™m sorry but some of this will sound very pointed.
The community provide the observations. Some in the community provide more observations than others. On occasion, the Admin team and the Curator in particular also add observations. This is how it should be.
The community canā€™t action the Home Page and yes, it probably should be left to Admin to post the ā€˜Observation of the Monthā€™ on this page which is under their control. However, I for one wouldnā€™t be surprised to find it all soon falling apart as the Home Page just doesnā€™t get updated in a timely manner.
At the minute I can see reference to ā€œ2nd April, 2023. Wild Islesā€ as well as " UK Fungus Day October 7", all highly depressing in December. When I go to a site I donā€™t know, I look for the date of the latest offering and if itā€™s months ago, I move on as it certainly seems like nobody is caring about it.
I donā€™t have anything else to say about it at the minute.

One of the reasons the observation of the month idea arose was to make sure there was at least one new item per month in addition to any of the other items that appear.

Oh unfair. Are you saying that Admin (there appears to be six) have nothing to say about site difficulties and recent solutions; where they have been recently (Edinburgh Conference say); dictionary progress, funding problems; links to AI providers; new ideas; promoting projects monthly (like Focus); the need for user help with the Dictionary, Browser and lost Observations; using the forum more effectively; first Organism-records in iSpot (2 this week) etc.
I think you need help with the Home Page and if asked, users would contribute to Home Page items. Goodness it needs to be lit up with a few recent Observation photos - they do not have to be anyoneā€™s FAVOURITE or voted for, just nice to look at. Itā€™s CHRISTMAS honestā€¦

1 Like

Is D88 your prospective Christmas dinner?

Because I rarely visit the Home Page - and generally only to quickly access the ā€œAdd Observationā€ button - this would probably not affect me much and I might well not see it unless it were put above the carousels. That said, I am neutral on the idea but would be happy to help in the selection on an occasional basis. One suggestion, though: make the selection process simple. The more complicated it is, the less likely it is that the idea will survive let alone thrive. Perhaps allow anyone to nominate a post/photo of the month, either as a comment or in this forum, and a committee of one decides on the winner which may or may not be one of the nominees. A new ā€œcommitteeā€ to volunteer or be nominated / press-ganged every 1 / 3 / 6 / 12 months.

Okay, how about:
Someone/anyone volunteer (or be invited) to propose the observation of the month. This could be done via the Forum. The observation could then be emailed to Miked thus keeping the surprise element.
In the event no one volunteers to nominate an observation, the curation team could choose one.
Iā€™d prefer to steer away from winners and losers.

I like the idea of having a note on the home page pointing people towards the forums.
A while back I did send in a couple of ā€˜how to get the most out of iSpotā€™ articles with a view to luring newcomers in. Not sure if they have been forgotten or rejected! (And Iā€™m happy to leave that to othersā€™ judgement.)
My feeling is that more people visit iSpot in the wamer months simply because they are making more observations - certainly true for me. But retaining new visitors is the only way that the site is going to stay viable. When I look at old observations, I realise quite how many (pretty clued-up) observers have gone quiet. It remains to be seen whether an ā€˜observationā€™ of the month/season/year/decade will encourage more participation or not. But I cannot see any harm in giving it a try.

Observationof the month.
Great idea. I volunteer to trawl the January posts and send one to Miked with reasons for my choice.

So we need a December volunteer, someone(s). It ought not be submitted until 1st Jan and published as soon as possible after that, Could this be a one-person job via the Curator (JoC? I think it should, as it would save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. I volunteer for February but would be happy to be one of a low number.