Following up on TAGGING by Derek

@dejayM @miked
Comment at iSpot TAGGING✴️
by dejayM

OVER THE YEARS

22 November 2023 - 8:31PM

marlandza

• Botanical Society of South Africa

with so many updates tags may be the only way to get back.
Wonder if the current URL’s will also become redundant, following updates?
Think you will like this Derek - had everyone thinking
but the links from the comments were lost.

MEANWHILE I shared some lichen observations on Flickr with links back to iSpot and they still connect.
HOW IS THIS!!
THEN another reminder
One of the updates corrupted the ‘date of observation’ - that’s why I Date Tag mine. - also helps when my computer/s delete all reference to ‘date taken’
Shall post this on the Forum in case you miss it.
THEN
some URLs over the years fot the same observation and a Flickr link that still works (shall check)

[iSpot | southern Africa - your place to share nature was]
NOW
Another Ramalina, Caledon - 2012 | Observation | Southern Africa | iSpot Nature

Imgur

We have been able to keep aliases or whatever they are called to urls even if the url changes so you should still be able to get to the old ones (you will just see it change to the new url when you try to go to the old version).
You should always keep a copy of each picture yourself, disk storage is relatively very cheap now. Should try to make sure the date image was taken and location are in the image or as a ‘sidecar’ file. Important they are in the image rather than the date of the file as sometimes the date of the file can change if the file is copied in certain ways e.g. if you copy files onto memory stick then onto another disk then the file date can end up as the date the files were copied rather than when the image was first created. whereas if the date is in the metadata then there may be a better chance it can be fixed.

I use a simple file system with a folder off the one the computer makes when it is installed from new to help make it difficult for on line security issues to become a problem.
Then it is year folders with months and days in American format so that they sort in date order without me having to spend hours fiddling with the display settings.
My camera only stores time and date on the images. The batteries last a lot longer on simple cameras so I get more tries at getting it in focus.
Photos and pictures are family and shareable and are sorted as such.

1 Like

Yes I do keep my originals - in the old-old days and before iSpot, when disk storage was a problem, someone advised me to keep only one image - now I have regrets -
Not quite sure how some ‘date taken’ gets lost - quite erratic and some I can restore manually

I also use the US date format and use the time taken when going back to old pics, to work out the location.
I used to think I’d be able to remember the spot, but memory fades with age - although some I remember quite clearly, Enjoy going back to recall with Google when available.
This one is quite fun - follow the blue line to the Scala Battery Dipogon lignosus, Redhill - 2000 | Observation | Southern Africa | iSpot Nature
Then I’ll try to find a link to Kanonkop, some great views

Only yesterday, my 1tb USB Moxtor SSD failed. It refuses to be recognised when inserted
Can you imagine how crucial it was?. It may need a pretty sophisticated fix UNLESS I decide not to start photography all over again

keep several copies of each picture yourself, on multiple devices and sites

Oh no dejay, … try to be stoic about it a for a while until you can sort it. You should not give up on photography as we all appreciate you photos and advice.

I have moved over to SSD instead of hard disks BUT they are almost impossible to fix when they go properly wrong so it is even more vital to keep backups on real spinning hard disks.

I have had SSD apear to fail on a few occasion but then after some more tries they have woken up, but if they do properly fail then I suspect the normal disk tools you might use with hard disks may not be able to get the data back.

Also in theory SSD have a relatively short lifespan and can lose data so need to be regenerated, probably not explained this well but basically they have different characteristics to spinning hard disks. The operating system should take account of this and keep things working properly but one thing to watch out for is that you should not leave them for long periods without power and without working, don’t know what counts as a ‘long period’ though, a year? This starts to get more serious if you want to archive data and wondering if a SSD left on a shelf unpowered will still contain all (or any) of the data in 5 or 10 years time.

1 Like

Not being particularly into IT I found this page informative.

I notice that it recommends using a HDD for photos - for the time being.
Being cautious, I tend to keep mine on an HDD and back them up to the cloud as well as uploading the favourites to a website.

I wrote something here in reply to the Ramalina, but but is now in the Ramalina post. Interestingly I cannot just delete the Forum comment, so I have to write something here to replace the deleted comment.

Later… Thanks dejay - the three dots is indeed a dustbin. We learn something every day on iSpot.

[quote=“JoC, post:11, topic:2070”]*
I cannot just delete the Forum comment
[/quote]

Oh, you can . Click on the Horizontal dots (show more)

and reveal a dustbin

nice to know about DELETE - thanks.

I recently changed the code so that iSpot keeps the original uploaded image without any interference - until then the EXIF header was being stripped and they were being re-compressed to 75% quality. Obviously this means the files are larger but we feel its now more important to keep as much as the user submits as possible.

FWIW I use Amazon Photos (part of Amazon Prime) for my off-site photos backup. Its unlimited for JPGs, etc. but not for RAW formats (which I don’t use anyway).

This is for a monthy fee isn’t it? I may get 10 things a year from Amazon, usually via a well timed free trial
I suspect we all have Cloud storage with our our own isp. So I am wondering if BT will hold my photos in the Cloud. Who here has Cloud Photo storage please?

Correct. Something like £70 a year. I watch shows on Amazon Prime so its a service I would have signed up to regardless. Its the only storage I know that is limitless - services like Dropbox and Microsoft’s OneDrive are around 2Tb. I also have a Dropbox account which I use for sharing images with other people.

Its important to note though that all such services should not be considered your only backup.

Absolutely given how many photo sharing sites have collaposed without warning and that prime is probably a prime target for any hackers or similar.

1 Like

I find Google Drive quite good. Though it’s not entirely easy to understand. Upload is rather slow. I have occasionally had to leave my PC uploading overnight.

The discussion went a bit over my head, but two IT-savvy volunteers were discussing various storage technologies recently. One discovery was that some devices have been shown to have the equivalent of the ‘suicide chips’ that I have found in some rechargeable domestic devices (such as vacuum cleaners).

@dejayM I believe that BT has a 200 GB or some such cloud storage with some of their broadband packages.