Identification help required

A friend has sent me this photo and I just cannot get into my head what it is. It was between two pieces of wood, in a garden, southern England. Overall it is around 75mm x 150mm. I have been told that although sticky, it was quite rigid and the two planks of wood had to be forcibly moved apart (it was actually between the back of a bird box and a fence). My friend thought it might be a spider’s web of some sort, and there were some small black spiders present. To me it looks like some form of grub nest perhaps. Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to iSpot.
You might like to have a look at thisand see wat you think.

Thank you, one of the photos in the link certainly looks like it. Cheers.

Do I see some rib bones in it?

The forums are not the most popular part of the site - I think you’d have more success posting this in the Observations. However, there is some interest already - though that doesn’t prevent you doing so.

I would really like to see this as an observation. You already have some nice Posts with good photography. Please post it.

They remind me of the communal cocooning of the Bee Moth, Aphomia sociella. However, that would mean that the box/site would have had to have been used by bees in the recent past. For reference, though:

https://bpca.org.uk/news-and-blog/Feature/wax-moths-communal-pupal-chambers-and-inquilines-blog/227500

They are the spinnings of wax moth (Galleria mellonella) larvae.

For future use you will probably get a quicker suggestion for ID by creating an entry on the main iSpot site (see the details here https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/article/814973/steps-to-using-ispot) rather than these fora.

A new ispotter with a post that’s in need of support from an invertebrate, or inveterate, ispotter.

Hannah (Jins Weenus) also needs the Curator’s help here (location and invalid panel) https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/global/view/observation/817771/tromatobia-lineatoria
@miked

If anyone wants a listing of their own unlinked observations i.e. not linked to the dictionary then I can send that. Can do it for all their observations globally or only the UK ones up until a couple of years ago (those are easiest to get at). Some of the people helping with this project have quite a lot of observations in this list.

Yes, please. (and some extra characters!)

VALUABLE - I had 10, all fixed.
If you have trouble Shifting Banners then leave a link in a comment here

There is an :heart:iTeam waiting to help.

This from a new iSpotter, that we maybe able to help.

A new ispotter with a bird post in Portugal. So active birders may have missed it … so far.

From the UI Inverts Project. Can anyone help solve the mystery?

A new iSpotter with a post where we have failed to even come close to deciding on a phylum so far. California is a good place to visit.

Can I add ZA ones that I find Mike ?- this one is/was correct at the time of posting, and we all agree on the original name but it was sunk into E mammosa and lost.

There are probably more,
M