Improvements requested

I tried VERY hard to recreate that this morning and failed
I suspect you accessed TWO different dictionaries Jo. (looks like it) You began in the UK and looked for the ID, then added some detail that suggested a Global observation (actually vice versa by the looks) . This could have been the GPS link in the Camera EXIF or that you added the Location. I cannot check.
The loss of a photo is more sinister, Have you tried the process again to see if it’s a one off, or really a reportable issue?
The Test Site has the Picture Thief resident - remember it, from 2017?

I wondered last night if it was accessing two dictionaries, as you suggested.
I tried it again this morning and could not reproduce it. So one of those mysteries of computing…
I didn’t lose a photo, so no problem to report.

Recently this has become more of a concern to me, I know others have talked about this issue before…

The Home page on a phone (on my iPhone anyway) is really unsuitable IMO: the four purposes of iSpot are so big and the thumbnails are so few and so small by comparison. Also, the need to Hide or View the sidebar means that some users will miss the ‘Latest projects’ section altogether. More and more people probably use phones as their only means of access to the site, and I think that could limit their interactions somewhat. We are talking postage stamp sized knowledge of IT here on my part, and I do use a very big screen for preference and an iPad sometimes - I can barely manage on a phone (age!!). If we want to expand the pool of regular contributors I think things have to be more phone friendly for those who do most things instantly, or want to do so.

Seconded: the old, defunct Android version wasn’t perfect, but it was an attempt to adapt to the platform/devices. I really struggle with the phone iSpot, too.

As you know we have had ispot apps in the past but the main problem with them is that they are very difficult (and expensive) to maintain over the long term due to the frequent changes in operating systems etc. I know the current interface is far from ideal on mobile, almost everything can be used but some parts are a real pain to get to. It is unfortunate that the programmers who produced it seemed to ignore most of the things I had asked for which would have made it much more usable e.g. I asked for less ‘wasted’ space so they gave more wasted space as mags notes.

Basically we are very much aware of these issues and would like to do something about them but at present don’t have the resource. Don’t stop reminding us though as this issue is very important.

Thanks for that response, I know so little of how these things work! It seems a shame the big 4 purposes stay so big and can’t be reduced a wee bit on the home page when viewed on anything, to make a little space for something with a variable input, changing each week or so. But direct engagement with others including yourself is a strength. M

1 Like

@Rachel_R’s Item on the home page is a real blessing. Up to date, working links and references to live and real-time events.
Things are REALLY looking up but everything else on the Home Page is dated 2021.

1 Like

One thing we have wanted to change for a long time (which was possible before) was having images embedded into the Homepage news story’s/articles. It has been raised as an issue with IT, but is still currently not a fixable solution on the front page. It would definitely brighten up our current monthly news story features and it would be fantastic to have a more visual topical weekly item/feature; such as Most Unusual Observations, Art to Life, Top Interactions, Top Observations, Top Visuals and so on. It would be wonderful to have this feature back and be able to load images on the frontpage. In the meantime, we are looking at potential other linked spaces we could use, to have news features with images (rather than embedded links).

Thanks for coming to this.
Elsewhere (and quietly) I have proposed that an iSpot :herb:BLOG :herb: in the Web might be a very good thing
I realise it may be a Management Chore but there is now enough internal interest and support for a team to keep it dynamic and interesting.
I will be VERY supportive but cannot (should not) take it on because of my other commitments here.
there are plenty of Blogger Platforms. Please consider it as a way to publicise iSpot’s great and wonderful community