In the news - April 2022

For island your link says 452 flowering plants and 606 mosses(not sure if that means bryophytes) but anyway certainly puts flowering plants vs mosses into perspective - my overriding impression of vegetation is just greenness rather than anything flowering.

Saw my first Canary Wharf bat this week. I believe there are 5 species recorded here - but when I google to check all I get back is BARS at Canary Wharf -

Unexpected Jumpers.

“Bat species in Canary Wharf” gave several Biodiversity plans etc, all citing “5 species of bats” 
 but so far no actual species list. So maybe it’s hearsay and you’ve seen the only one.

1 Like

another extinction

I’ve seen bats on the other side of the river, here in Rotherhithe, where Southwark Council has erected bat-boxes on the trees in Russia Dock Woodland. I’ve seen one or two most summers, flying at 2nd/3rd story height, round the docks and nearby streets at dusk They’re not Pips, they’re too big, but I’m not sure what they are. Anyway, no reason why they wouldn’t still be eking out an existence on your side of the Thames too, even if the Isle of Dogs isn’t as amenable as it once was - think of Mudchute, or even the older surviving buildings such as around the Museum of London Docklands.

Our building (Cascades) is Grade II listed - not that very old - but has quite a large garden area which might attract bats. Dwarfed now by the recent developments :frowning: see Google street view,.
My son, living in Pimlico has bats in their community garden -
Here’s a link about Cascades Cascades Tower | Know Your London

I took a look at the London Bat Atlas, which I downloaded a couple of years ago from here:

and it seems that the Isle of Dogs had/has or may have:
i) Daubenton’s
ii) Nathusius’s Pipistrelle
iii) Soprano Pipistrelle
On my side of the Thames, in the Rotherhithe peninsula, it seems we may have in addition:
Common Pipistrelle
Lesser Noctule
Noctule
I can see Cascades from the end of my street, although I never knew it was called that.

1 Like

November 2020, but I’ve only just seen it.

1 Like

Interesting
So, 
how might it have evolved (learned) this? Has survival-evolution favoured the ones that are grey in boulderfields? I would have thought the ‘Chinese’ to be too clever to allow this to happen.

Seeing the photos it almost looks like April 1

I think it’s real
 this may be the source for the Guardian.

Just enough chlorophyll remains, presumably, to enable photosynthesis.

I think it’s quite likely that there’s still the same amount of chlorophyll - just with additional pigments to change the colour. (There are quite a number of plants with purple-leaved forms.)

Interesting paper. Did you also play the game they list in the paper? Perhaps ispotters need to have a go at it to see how good they are at spotting things.
I am not totally convinced by the colours they show there even though they claim to have a colour target in duplicate images that they checked.

I played as a Yak
I got 6 right ( once I’d worked out you had to tap the place where the fritillary was because as a Yak I couldn’t read the instructions ( if they’re were any)).
Average time 10 + seconds.
I think I would have been a hungry yak.
The link is is two paras below Fig2 in the paper. It wouldn’t copy into this comment for me.

July 2022. For the fungal enthusiasts:

1 Like

It appears to suggest the purple one as Amanita groenlandica
Amanita groenlandica Bas ex Knudsen & T.Borgen The UK record is 2010
The purple one is Acrodontium Antarcticum [sic] neither are in the current dictionary
It is certainly very rare! Might it be on the Hoy tops (Orkney)

I assume, from the title’s use of ‘Unearthed’ that the DNA indicates the fungal presence, not that the fungal fruiting bodies were seen. That’s not to detract from this excellent collaborative project involving hill walkers and the Hutton.
This was their pitch to get the volunteers:

I think the purple one is Clavaria zollingeri which they refer to as violet coral fungus “one of the UK’s rarest grassland fungi”. It is a nice find but not one of our rarest.

[quote=“John_Bratton, post:39, topic:1522”]
Clavaria zollingeri
[/quote] Clavaria zollingeri, Violet Coral Fungus identification (preview removed)
or Acrodontium antarcticum
https://www.ecowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/new-fungi.jpg