January 2022 news

Other than pronghorns, ungulates aren’t good distance runners (which is why persistence hunters like humans can run them down); horses don’t do too badly, but that’s probably a combination of selective breeding and humans controlling their pacing so they don’t overexert themselves.

More long-legged news, but of expansion rather than extinction. King crabs invade UK waters threatening native species | Wildlife | The Guardian

Widely reported - Univ of Cambridge research using Woodland Trust phenology data: UK plants flowering nearly one month earlier due to climate change:

Item includes link to open access paper published 02 Feb 2022.

A huge difference and of course very interesting. Beyond the overall picture the discussion hints at a range of other factors beyond climate that have influenced the results. I am sure there could be a whole set of other papers dissecting the data and looking at these other factors, many of them social as well as just environmental.

Yes, many factors. And it shows the relevance of citizen science, I think. :slight_smile:

We need some ispotters there to get us a post of Deschampsia antartica…

before it succumbs to competition from Poa annua.
No gbif records, but antartic surveys have it.

This?

1 Like

Dejay has found an iSpot post of this from Tim Rich.
I just checked ispot for the other native antartic flowering plant, Colobanthus quitensis, but I didn’t get a +ve result.

I’d need a better budget

It would not be a waste of money
But I need slightly better support from the ‘French Office’ (ha!)

So, I searched for Colobanthus & separately for Antarctic pearlwort in global. I got « no result ».
How did you find it?

It was VERY deep in my Tracker - I am the only person who’d responded
You cannot find Invalid IDs via a search
The Observation is still ‘invalid’ because the Likely Banner is in the wrong place.
It is REALLY nice to see Mags following up - bless her
As we know, invalid IDs are completely lost in iSpot -
It will be years before the iSpot Global Dictionary is updated
See the 2022 edition here Colobanthus quitensis (Kunth) Bartling | COL

Thank you, I didn’t know that “we cannot find Invalid IDs via a search”. ……
but I just searched for Pulmonaria australis, which did come up.
These little quirks of iSpot keep us on our toes.

Fickle.
This is more likely to ‘do’ with the Observation Title and also the ‘valid’ Comment titles - something worth remembering.
Try searching for Gentiana bavarica and get this one where there is NO mention of the name
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/global/view/observation/322686/

Back to news…

There’s a good post here: Greater Pipefish | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature
I wonder how many of the 6* the article says we have around BI are on iSpot.

• caveat emptor; The Gurniad is not only noted for spelling mistakes, it can get numbers wrong too.