January 2022 news

Starting a new thread with this:

Including the insulation of a giant Sequoia … I wonder if it will be successful.

Not exactly news, but friends having seen the excellent conservation work in Costa Rica sent me this link for the sloth rescue centre web cam.

It not fast and furious, but a pleasantly soothing watching experience.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting: I could waste spend a lot of time on that site. :smiley:

1 Like

Some news of new species.

And the name of the Windsor GP fungus ( omitted by the article here) is “ Hydnellum nemorosum: a rare tooth fungus from the UK which was found growing in moss under a sweet chestnut in Windsor Great Park in 2008, the only known site it is found in Britain, and which was finally described as new to science in 2021.”
Who’s in the area who can go and look for it for an ispot first?

I am never really sure which parts of Windsor GP are allowed to be visited so which rare species may only be available to those who can go everywhere.

A bedtime read, maybe… https://www.windsorgreatpark.co.uk/media/171085/windsor-great-park-regulations.pdf
Watching sloths is probably more rewarding.

This is both ridiculous and astonishing. Goldfish have been taught to drive a robot car: Goldfish Can Drive? - YouTube

I forgot to mention that all the goldfish are named after characters in Pride and Prejudice. It’s either Mr Darcy or Mr Bingley driving the fishtank in the video I think: Goldfish who can drive: why scientists taught fish to navigate a watery tank on wheels | Fish | The Guardian

They use GPS - Goldfish Positioning System.

:smiley: love it!! I’ll write and tell them…

Going by modern driving standards, they were already driving!

Not a Bonne Année for Bees.

Jurassic Garden?

can get the whole paper here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356615758_A_Jurassic_flower_bud_from_the_Jurassic_of_China/link/61a5087b8c253c45f695f352/download
Interesting that various insects that might be associated with plants are found there too. Will leave someone else to work out if dinosaurs could have been eating them.

What a messy nuisance those usually-pay-for academic links are
Thanks though!

We can get our hands on the published version as well.

1 Like

Early equid hybrids from the Fertile Crescent

Oh YES. @miked will now get iSpot registered as as an Academic Research Group so that we have access to ALL Scientific papers via a log-in (please!)

Yes in this case there are a couple of ways of getting full text without paying. Actually there are an increasing number of journals offering free access but on other hand charging thousands to get the paper published which the uni or whatever (or author) has to pay. This is a separate issue to how good the journal is or how good their review process is and if it stops poor papers getting published.

We probably won’t need « Equus hemionus hemippus* in the new dictionary as the last two died in 1927.
I liked this, also from Wikipedia, « Xenophon states that horsemen would occasionally chase the asses, with the asses easily able to outrun the horses. He said that asses would only run a short distance ahead of the horses before stopping, waiting for the horses to get closer, and then running ahead yet again.« Presumably they were playing a game.