The OpenScience Laboratory The Open University

iSpot Forum

Last night in limbo

Probably my fault wanting to download late at night, when it was cooler.
There was no indication that the site was not working - but halfway through my work - iSpot didn’t want to respond.
So I ignored the fact that my ID wasn’t linking, and tabs just thinking and tried to download regardless - unsuccessful.
Waited a while - and then another while.
Was iSpot busy on something else at a quiet time?

Do you know what time - in BST - that might be? There are a set of scheduled scripts that trigger in the early morning that can slow things down - plus during the short period of the backup the site is locked down.

Thanks for the reply Chris - late night v. early morning.
Can’t remember the precise time - I should have recorded it in my message, sorry - probably before midnight and not much later then 1am BST - just remembering the children’s computer game (probably misquoting ) ‘time passes’ - the computer was thinking…
I tried a few times, thinking things might settle down.
Initially, I was able to post images, and two tags - things started going wrong at the third (regular) tag. Then, when I needed to select the species name there was no link to the dictionary.
Something must have been thinking…
Things were back to normal the next day - thanks.
M

Doesn’t sound like it was down to a scheduled script or backup then.
How large are your image files in bytes?

1 Like

Oh dear, Chris - you’re making me use my brain - depends on the cameras I used at the time - my pics are usually 'point-and-click. But then I use ‘zb module’ to add text.
Also, sometimes I fiddle with enhancing the images.
Checked a couple of pics - they all vary, and then there is the problem that many have seen a journey, over the years, from one computer to another.
Note, I started my digital photography in about the year 2000, when there was a devastating fire on the Cape Peninsula and lots of flowers to photograph.
Think we should to see if this was just a one-off and if not I’ll take more care of recording what actually happened.
Thanks
M