News Items from April 2020

They say that you could only find 6 new species (in a year) in fungi. I suspect that isn’t true; I could imagine someone describing that number of new hawkweeds, dandelions or brambles; maybe even whitebeams. And a study of apomictic Ranunculus (goldilocks) outside the areas already covered might come up with a substantial number of species.

Just a reminder that fake news in the media ( in this case Disney & BBC) has been around for a while.

Thanks, I’d forgotten… Years and years and year ago in Arctic Norway we were plotting debris transportation on a Glacier surface.
One 1500 meter-long trail of debris was all fur and bone Lemmus lemmus
More here

Anybody seen a Clifden nonpareil this year?

1 Like

With its balmy, maritime climate, Scilly, positioned 28 miles beyond Land’s End, is home to a number of species found nowhere on mainland Britain, including the lesser white-toothed shrew, orange bird’s foot and gilt-edged lichen, which is a critically endangered plant.
This from Dwarf pansy blooms on tiny Scilly island after 16-year absence | Wild flowers | The Guardian

Edit: I have now realised there are more recent “In the News” forum topics. Hey ho.