Not new, in fact -

But worth noting:

The virus has also been found in a couple of places (including Thetford Forest) in the recent past.

Thanks, Amadan. Even though encaphilitis is rare, there are other nasty diseases that can be carried by ticks.

I’ve been vaccinated against one of the types of tick carried encaphilitis as it is common in a particular part of the world where I was doing fieldwork, it is just another jab to have if you are in outdoors those areas. The big issue is which type of encaphilitis as some are very nasty and not sure how effective the vaccination is.
Also remember the time when Lyme disease was only just appearing in UK but now warnings about it posted very commonly.

Yes, this morning frowned when read an article in the Guardian. I am a regular target for the little ******** as some readers may know! It can be quite wearing to keep up the precautions but must do so of course. Looking for Black Grouse plodding through moorland yesterday very early morning, and no ticks! Each minor triumph should be celebrated.

Years ago before Lyme disease etc it was quite ok to go through undergrowth and only check much later for ticks. Also ok to drink water from streams in the more remote areas but not recommended now.
In areas where there is a lot of encaphilitis in the ticks I think there is some level of natural immunity in the human population but that may not be the case in UK.

I remember those days too.

I once took part in blood trials (mid 1980s). A monthly collection of my blood, to look for Lyme markers. antibodies and infection. I was working in a region and habitat (Wales/Scotland and Bracken) where it was most likely. I may still be carrying powerful antibodies.

But I’m not sure that antibodies against Lyme’s disease would protect you from encephalitis?

I’d be very surprised if there was any antibody-mediated cross-protection between Lyme Disease (bacterial) and tick borne encephalitis (viral).

quite true…not the same thing by a very long way