November 2021 News

Politics dangerous? They work for us don’t they?

Anyway, this is more wildlife news … do you think it will/should get recorded in GBIF?
One of the world’s rarest turtles is beginning to show signs of recovery after washing up on the Welsh coast.
The Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle has been named Tally by Anglesey Sea Zoo, where it is being nursed back to health.
On Sunday, Tally was found on Talacre beach, Flintshire, 4,000 miles (6,437 km) away from its usual waters in the Gulf of Mexico.

Atlantic Ridley has 68 records in GBIF - quite a few in Wales

So rare, but still recorded.

Some good reef news to celebrate.

1 Like

Unbelievable. I’m lost for words really.

This is about Ecomooring for seahorses
which is better news for seahorses than the previous item is for octopi.

Avian Flu is back in the UK, here is some advice from Defra:

Avian Flu what to do - Wild birds

“Do not touch or pick up any dead or visibly sick birds that you find.

In Great Britain, if you find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or other dead wild birds, such as gulls or birds of prey, you should report them to the Defra helpline (03459 33 55 77).

We then collect some of these birds and test them to help us understand how the disease is distributed geographically and in different types of bird, not all birds will be collected. Wild birds are susceptible to a range of diseases and injuries and not all dead birds will have been infected with avian influenza.

We publish a report (updated regularly) on findings of highly pathogenic avian influenza (bird flu) in wild birds in Great Britain and provide further details in our outbreak assessments.

The carcasses of wild animals, other than wild game, are exempt from the animal by-product (ABP) rules in the UK. However, if it is suspected that the animals were infected with a disease which can spread to people or animals such as avian influenza, the carcases must be disposed of as a category 1 ABP. See our guidance on animal by-product disposal.”

If you find any dead wild birds in your park or green space leave them where they are, phone DEFRA and report them to Bristol Parks, preferably using the What3Words location finder and a photo.

Use the reporting litter options and make it clear that they are dead birds that you have reported to Defra in the description.

1 Like

It’s not a 3-hour watch, honest!

2 Likes

Some (covid) clouds have a silver lining.

1 Like

A collaboration between zoos and local people can ‘restore’ habitats as well as species. Reduced gene pool is not mentioned but the population seems to be thriving.

1 Like

I saw this yesterday too and was going to pop it on here today … so you beat me to the biodiversity post :slight_smile:

I’ve only heard about it from the BBC, and they haven’t explained why it went extinct and what has been done to remove the cause. They make it sound as if anything that goes extinct in the wild can just be reared in a zoo and popped back where it came from.

You’re right, but in depth news is not what we get these days; sound bites are what we have to make do with. Perhaps the peer reviewed journals will have more info… i googled, on google scholar,
Gerardo Garcia. Tequila.

It’s a pollution effect. I read more here: page 38.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Shawn-Larson/publication/325676205_Global_reintroduction_perspectives_2018_Case_studies_from_around_the_globe/links/5b1d464ba6fdcca67b6905f7/Global-reintroduction-perspectives-2018-Case-studies-from-around-the-globe.pdf#page=53

I am about to post a bit of news about the NHM; that has links to read more.

1 Like

NHM gives us some more organisms to look for, but many are extinct and unlikey to be seen by us apart from either a trip to NHM (when allowed) or as a fossil. We don’t get many fossil posts though…
Anyway here’s the article.

1 Like

Thanks. I see the next case study was 3-spined stickleback in USA. I wonder how much they spent on that.