Offline Wildlife projects

I like researching and studying Wildlife drawing and Wildlife photography arnt my only Wildlife hobbys.

my prefered method of research and studying is mainly to get out there with the Wildlife themselfs sit there and study them myself rather than studying mainly from internet or books.

if I become curious about Bees wings and how they work for example il sit down and observe them and then write it down in a project book. if i become curious about any species behavior I will observe them so anything I would like to study I will go out and observe for myself

Wildlife can teach you alot just by being themselfs and while there is alot we know about Wildlife in this day and age there are still things that we dont know.

some things that I may discover about Wildlife people may already know but there will also be things that people may not know or dont know.

and its this curiosity that makes me like to study Wildlife in person

I used to write things down im studying like behaviours down in Wildlife journals but I like starting projects on the things I study so I have come up with the idea of shareing my projects with everyone that I write down in my project books.
and I have got 3 to 4 project books for out in the field. yesterday I bought a big project book aswell as a sketch pad. these are offline projects. any behaviors I observe Il write about from my project books but I wont be sending photos for (offline projects) just writeing what I learn from a species out in the Wild im observing and writeing about

2 Likes

iv had a very busy year but Im not talking about abandoning i spot projects on the actual ispot website neither am I doing so

but I also do (offline projects) ones that dont have photos or links or anything else whatsoever jist writeing by me and no one else no photos, citations, links or infomation obatined from anywhere in the past or present and only from my studys alone.

they can be just as interesting if not more so. Wildlife behaviors arnt the only thing I go out there and study in my own way. it is many different Wildlife topics so not nesacerily allways about behaviors iv studyed

examples being perhaps Wildlife Anatomy, there senses, or what I have stidyed when out and other topics

I came up with the idea of shareing those offline ones on an offline projects post here on the i spot forum
any interesting discoverys I make in those ones il write what iv written from my project book here and share it with everyone

1 Like

Your mention of bumblebee wings prompted me to look up the oft-quoted theory that bumblebees can’t actually fly:

yes I already knew that but still interesting of course. people used to think they couldnt fly but they can. with bats people used to think they were Blind hence the term blind as a bat. when I tell some people I know that they arnt actualy blind there surprised so Bees arnt the only ones but i find it interesting people used to think that Bumblebees couldnt fly.

one day I wondered how Bumblebees make the buzzing sound they make when they fly so I thought id watch them and see if I can find out. at some point there was a Bumblebee that was injured somehow in the garden limping alot. but it willingly crawled onto my hand and I tryed to give it a little shelter in one of my insect shelters while giving it sugary soloution and I noticed once it was feelling more itself

it started getting its wings going they would go faster and faster and at the same time the Bumblebee started buzzing. then it slowly flew up and over the grass. I noticed when it landed the wings would slow down and stop then the buzzing sound also stoped and I noticed with that one aswell as other Bumblebees the faster the wings went the louder the buzz, the slower the wings went the quieter the buzz so its actualy the wings that produce the sound

I think you may find this interesting Zo
An observation of ants that I witnessed at a family holiday cottage. We would go there mostly overnight - Saturday pm and Sunday mornings. So, not quite sure how much time the ants had in the sugar bowl.
But what intrigued me was the debris they seem to have left behind.
The Wikipedia link shows the various shapes of this species, and the Afrikaans name is rather special
The English name is misleading but translates **Black cocktail ant, Swartwipgatmier - They are commonly known as the black cocktail ant or swartwipgatmier ([Afrikaans] for their colour and habit of arching their abdomens when alarmed.

Wonder if any UK ants behave the same way?
PS tag myAnts links to my other ant observations.
Some at Cape Point (Cape of Good Hope) are also interesting. They take seeds and store them underground - help protecting them from the raging fires. .
ALSO interesting ANTS - Friends of the Fynbos
https://journals.co.za/doi/pdf/10.10520/AJA00423203_1083
Thought I send you my favourite Ant Observation THEN found am interesting comment to Tony (completely off the topic) linking to what I witnessed in London - another dimension? A glimpse at the mind-blowing experiments going on in the world’s largest particle accelerator

See how my mind jumps!!!

yes that is very interesting infomation that you said about the Ants and interesting observation about them and that is a very interesting question weather any UK Ants behave the same way aswell