Rearing Gall Wasps

This afternoon I picked up a fallen oak leaf with a number of spangle galls still on it. It struck me that it would be interesting to see if any of the galls produce wasps; it also struck me that I have only the vaguest idea of how to do this. Can anyone offer any tips or pointers to relevant websites, please?

I don’t speak from great experience but I recently posted an observation of a wasp that emerged from a gall. I found the gall on an oak leaf about 8th October and put it in a sealed pot. The leaf withered and I nearly threw it away but didn’t. Then about four days after that I noticed a dead wasp in the pot.
See: Wasp in my gall | Observation | UK and Ireland | iSpot Nature
The only thing I wonder is whether the wasps are still in the galls you have. Look for some tiny exit holes before you store them. (I kept mine indoors at room temp and I didn’t add water or anything to moisten the leaf/gall.)

Thanks. From what I can see the Spangle Gall Wasp (Neuroterus quercusbaccarum) naturally overwinters as a pupa in the gall in or on the soil surface, emerging as the adult in the spring so I’m not expecting any action in the short term. My guess would be that a jar with some damp cotton-wool and a cloth “lid”, kept in an unheated room would be a good starting point.

That sounds good. I guess the aim is to replicate the conditions they would experience in the wild.
There’s a reference here: Seeking guidelines for hatched insect galls on plants - General - iNaturalist Community Forum

1 Like

I found three galls this morning so I’m keeping them in an old jam jar.

If you are becoming interested in Plant Galls - it might be worth joining the British Plant Gall Society and/or their facebook page at British Plant Galls (in association with BPGS) | Facebook You might get advice if you posted your query here. I do not speak from experience of rearing galls (yet??)

Mark

Thanks. I’ll try the FB group first. I’m not sure that my dedication/knowledge extends to joining BPGS.

Good luck Good luck Good luck Good luck Good luck Good luck

Comments have to be more than 20 characters long!

Mark

1 Like