Uk wildlife sites maps - adding a polygon

Had a hunt through past UK posts :eyes: :question: Is there a way to ADD a Site to iSpot, without making it a full PROJECT?

I’ve got 140 wildlife sites in Brighton and Hove (England) which are important for nature.
It will be useful to give each site a unique ID or TAG and then collate records over time for each Site from community observations. I can draw a boundary polygon for each Site.

Eco21st.com

I believe that you could include all 140 sites in a single project - i.e. you can enter multiple polygons when defining the geographical scope of a project. Would that be sufficient?

It would be a nightmare to actually do that knowing how fiddly it is to draw the polygons. What we have really wanted is ability to add a polygon as a ready drawn one. Two problems with that, first this is very tricky to do and has to be done manually by programmmer and second is that complex polygons put more load on the server so even if there were an automatic way to upload the polygon then there would also need to be ways of mitigating the extra load once lots of people start doing it.

If people can get tags right then that is a simple way of doing it but the tag has to be as simple as possible to avoid people making mistakes with it.

1 Like

@Eco21st
I use tags quite a lot with my South African community,
EG for Rondebosch Common in Cape Town I have myRBC and this allows a count of my observations.
Then for the Silvermine Nature Reserve which is spread on two sides of the Ou Kaapse Weg - see mySNR.
It’s a bit slow when using the map view and remember the more observations one has remember to keep 'adding"
For the West Coast National Park (myWCNP). some observations are not strictly in the Park - so I add a comment to that effect,
Works for me.

That might work. How do I define the polygons? I could provide a ‘Tag’ matching the site code I currently use in Brighton & Hove for each one.

Thanks Mike, currently have polygons as .KML files (also .SHP). They needn’t be complex, more a boundary which matches obvious features on the ground - usually a road, field edge or hedge.
I have currently given a ‘Site Code’ to each one, which could easily be used as its unique tag.
The main aim is to ensure that wildlife records can be seen where they cluster in particular areas. It’s not straightforward with an ‘OpenStreetMap’ base map or even aerial photo view at low resolution.

Sounds like a good approach Marlandza. I need to learn how to draw polygons and then add an ID ‘Tag’ to it.

Just to make you think about the future - nothing is ever as simple as one thinks.
We used to use a GARMIN to record our locations in the early days. Recorded finds on GOOGLE EARTH - there were some idiosyncrasies -
I was able to spot some locations right to a small shrub
But getting back years later the maps really aren’t the same.

That’s what the pointy-heads call an #upgrade :cold_sweat:

1 Like

If you are thinking of using tags then make them as simple as possible, preferably no more than 4 or 5 letters otherwise people will either not use them at all or get them wrong and end up with loads of similar tags that are not found by the project and prevent others from using those.

Thanks Mike, have thought about this in the past. Six characters (= 6 letters chars.) is the optimal number to give a memorable tag code and avoid potential overlap.
LINK: Brighton Wildlife Sites (ver. 2023)

I may be able to download (or you send me) the polygons from the brighton wildlife sites page and use them in gis to select all the ispot observations within them. But does that help at all as would still need to go back to each of the observations and tag them and you can’t tag observations that someone else made. Will ask programmer again if there is any other way to do this.

Thanks Mike, too much ‘double handling’ going on that way (TAGS). Within the ‘Brighton-Hove-Records’ polygon all records appear. This is why I was hoping polygons could be defined and selected - where all visible records would appear.

If you go to www.BrightonWildlife.com there are two GIS files for download to play with. They need an update, but it’s a start.

ps: I’ve spent nearly twenty years collating this information! It’s baseline data, but impossible to find for free online. iSpot provides simpler interactivity than Recorder-6 :scream: and iNaturalist. Defining different polygons would be a useful function.

Regards,
John - Eco21st.com

Hello Mike, starting to upload content to the folders associated with www.BrightonWildlife.com Map. Still opting for a ‘Site Based’ approach. Most important wildlife is linked to habitats (= Sites)
The only obvious flies in the ointment are House Sparrows and Butterflies, usually observed near peoples’ favourite places (garden / walks)