White Paper - planning process changes

This may be a bit peripheral to the main purpose of the site, but I think it behoves anyone with an interest in wildlife conservation to be aware of the government white paper on proposed planning reform. This is my “take” on it, and will inevitably include some bias. You can find the original at https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/planning-for-the-future.
Essentially, central government will tell authorities what scale and type of development is required in their area. Local Plans will then be prepared, which must meet this demand.
These plans will divide each local area into three types:

• Growth areas suitable for substantial development.

• Renewal areas suitable for development on a smaller scale: infill of residential areas, development in town centres, and small sites within or on the edge of villages.

• Areas that are Protected would include Green Belt, AONBs, Conservation Areas, Local Wildlife Sites, areas of significant flood risk, and important areas of green space.

In the first 2 categories, outline planning permission will be automatic. It will only remain to follow a speeded-up approval process. It is theoretically possible that a scheme will be rejected, if it includes a type of development not included in the Local Plan.
Land in the last category will, despite the name, still be subject to planning applications. It will not receive automatic outline permission, but will be subject to a streamlined version of the full approval process.
Interestingly, another facet of the system is highlighted for reform. Authorities currently have two ways in which they can extract money for infrastructure (roads, drainage etc.) to support developments from the builders. These raise £3-4 billion a year, but this is less than half what might be demanded: many councils do not choose to apply the levies. One wonders why…

Thanks for the link. We are finding (here in Orkney) that local objections, including those from Community and County Councils are being overridden by National Planning ‘regulators’. This applies to housing and Wind Turbine ‘farms’.
Does it look as though applications for developments in flood plains (and local zones) are being declined? NO!

Can I add my thanks too. This is, as you say, an issue that iSpotters could become interested in given the substantial implications for wildlife. In Bristol the S106 & CIL monies ( local deveopers pay) have and continue to be levied.
However the allocation of these monies has changed. They used to be available for groups like local nature reserves to bid for by democratic means in government wards. Locally our parks etc have benefitted by our successful bids for wildlife meadows for example. Now they are allocated more centrally and residents’ groups have less opportunity to input into the process & benefit from it.