Wildlife friendly and environmentally friendly labels and the natural environment

If I go shopping or if I eat something or use something I try to pay attention to weather
It is environmentally friendly cause things we buy and things we use have an impact on the natural environment not allways in a good way and not allways in a bad way either it depends on weather it is Wildlife friendly or not. People use materials to make things from things to make houses and we live on there home so our home is on there home so we are shareing our home with Nature in a sense. and some species were even here before humans even existed. Things people use and things we do can affect the environment even things we didn’t used to know where harmful to the environment so that means Even simple things like plastic can be harmful to the environment which is what a lot of things are made of and with some products a lot of trees might of been cut down to make them and then things like soap, wipes, or things we pour down the sink eventually make down to the ocean where Wildlife either eat or get caught in it or it pollutes the ocean which is already problom for Wildlife that live in the ocean and and the problom is more common than most people probably would like to think. There are things that claim to be environmentally friendly or not harmful to the environment but just cause something says it’s good for the environment doesn’t necessarily mean it can be trusted to be good for the environment this goes for anything regardless of what makes that claim but there are things you can trust and aparantly that would be labels like rainforest alliance or people and places or things that have evidence to prove it is green here’s a link I thought people might find interesting it’s by a wildlife organisation and goes through all the words commonly used and what the words actually mean includeing the term plant based in this context and various other terms

1 Like

But remember that farming can also be a problem.
I try to avoid anything containing Palm oil.
Then we know that Rooibos Tea is contentions. A botanist I knew said that many local species were being threatened by Rooibos - tea farming.
You may want to read this https://journals.co.za/doi/pdf/10.10520/EJC113181

Yes it can be. I know Starlings and one of the species that has been hit badly by certain farming methods Exspeacially pesticide use in farming. Iv raised money for a petition on Starlings in Brighton I bought a Save our Starlings T-shirt to help them raise money to make nest boxes for Starlings in Brighton and reduce or stop pesticide use cause there population is lower than they used to be in certain parts of the UK Exspeacially Places like Brighton and the petition was a success cause enough people helped them raise money to make the nest boxes and do more for the Starlings to help them. I pick up any litter people may of dropped in the garden like plastic, wrappers or biros which contain ink or bits of food people might of eaten or anything else people don’t really think about cause I know birds don’t just feed on feeders but also on the ground. I used to put mealworms out for some Starlings and I have a decent population of Starlings iv been even more focused on improving my wildlife pond, Wildlife gardening and encouraging more insects so have forgottten about bird food but the Starlings arnt bothered that I havnt put out mealworms 2 flocks usually visit the garden every year but this year yesterday they have visited a lot more frequently than usual so far cause they caught more worms in the garden than usual one even bravely visited while I was sitting outside. But Starlings arnt the only ones afected by farming other species are aswell. As for palm oil i sometimes forget to look for that also. And coincidentally I noticed a few things I have contained palm oil so we can encourage the selling of palm oil without necessarily being aware of it

The worst thing related to palm oil was a hike in the price of butter in the early 1980s that boosted the development of many brands of palm oil based fake butter. I have no idea what amount of land has been cleared to produce the crops that go into vegan milk. That needs to be looked into well before we blame cows for climate change.
I have been trying to work out if micro plastics really are harmful and came to the conclusion that they have been tested on humans since the late 1950s when the first disposable ball point pen went to market. How many millions of tons of plastic has been consumed by office workers chewing the tops off the things? You have to exclude any pens that are swallowed whole when assessing this situation.
Marine animals do suffer if they swallow plastic bags. I use a stacking crate at the supermarket as it fits in a trolley and lifts directly into the car quickly giving an advantage in wet weather.
I have seen photos of animals using waste creatively.
Honey bees nesting in an abandoned burst car tire and an octopus sheltering in a lemonade bottle. Rats almost always use chewed feed sacks for nesting material. I have seen rate using dog waste bags that were dumped with the dog output still in them. I have been seeing more dog waste bags dumped in the bushes than shopping bags in recent times.
Bananas used to have sticky paper labels on them in the past. Now almost all fruit has bomb proof labels on it. These labels remain pristine after being kicked around a chicken rum for six months and then run over with a cultivating machine. That must be a step backwards.

1 Like