Wildlife in the news

There was a lovely piece in the ITV lunchtime news about a blackbird that imitates police sirens. It sounded quite reealistic. I thought that it was going to turn out to be a starling but it was a blackbird.

1 Like

30 years too late for me, but -

West country is doing well recently in ‘helping out’.

(I’m dividing GB into 4 parts for this location)

Taking from the wild. Discuss . ( in style of OU exam question)

Good for them. It is very odd that you could win a flower show by displaying a particularly fine specimen you had taken from the wild.

1 Like

Frontiers in Bee Science.

Planting 20,000 violets is easier than doing something about “global heating, which pushed colonies north and west in search of cooler climes, wetland drainage, which shrank habitats, and changing management techniques that allowed rushes to push out marsh violets,”

I’d like to know how planting violets will help snipe, curlew and devils-bit scabious.

Ask the National Trust?
And what about the 32 species of rushes and wood-rushes found in Britain" which have taken the opportunity to expand? Is there no-one rooting (ha ha) for them?

Perhaps slightly off topic but similar is the mass removal of ash trees. I was at a reserve yesterday where the ground flora has changed considerably as the ash trees have died and been removed (or left in piles). This is happening extensively in woodland across UK and I wonder if it will let some of the plant species escape the massive overgrazing that is happening in most woods caused by deer. i.e the trees fall and make gaps for plants to grow partly protected by dead branches so at least some of them escape the deer. When I say plants I mean both the ground flora and the tree seedlings.

I heard from a different source at the weekend about the damage that deer are doing. They have few natural predators. Reintroducing wolves is problematic. Deer culls would not be popular (though I believe it is done in places).

Killing Bambis … as you say, not generally popular.

1 Like