Wildlife in the news

Might be of interest to fungi and flora afficionados.

1 Like

Followed the link and found this rather interesting Gardeners warned not to plant mystery seeds - BBC News

Gardeners warned not to plant mystery seeds

You never know what next!

Chris Packham on why he’s angry, yet hopeful - Positive News

1 Like

Definitely worth a read.

Yes, I enjoyed CP article. So thanks.
Here’s a West Country piece; I think expanding the current Celtic Woodland would get CP’s approval. “Do it and they’ll come” will work with that, though some lichens will take a while to be convinced it’s the right habitat for them.

Always about ‘trees planted’ when it is actually the management that needs adjusting i.e. removal of grazers and trees will ‘plant’ themselves and they will be local genotypes too.

2 Likes

I agree, ‘planting trees’ seems to be the mantra used all the time. . As Kevin Costner almost said, “If you remove the grazers the trees will come”

Two local landowners are doing a lot of tree-planting. Probably because they get subsidies. But I’m pleased that they are doing so because we have lots of mature trees round here but you see very few young trees. Removing the roe deer would perhaps be an alternative option but people might not like a cull.

So long as they plant on former arable or brownfield sites. But one conservation charity has drawn criticism in the recent past for planting trees on prime wildflower sites.

This was interesting; commercial peat cutting and draing meant bogs dried out
 when commercial cutting stopped, trees encroached on dried out peat bogs and self seeded into woodland. Thats been addressed. The Meres and Mosses

Remember there were grants to plant trees on bogs
 but the Forestry Commission recognised their mistake.

On the whole, it’s arable land.
But some is on what was a wonderful wildflower meadow when we first moved here 20 years ago. I used to find masses of Odonata and Lepidoptera there, including small yellow undewring, which I haven’t seen since, and speckled yellow. But the then owner decided to keep sheep on it and also mowed it too often, so that the biodiversity rapidly suffered.

I don’t know whether this link will work for non-subscribers but I felt that it was very informative about the pros and cons of various approaches to species conservation (mainly referring to developing countries). It points out that local people have often existed alongside wildlife for generations and it is not for rich Westerners to take them away from their land to create game parks. (At least, that is the writer’s view.)

The ladt line is “ United Utilities said the plants operated in line with environmental permits.“.
“Well,they would say that, wouldn’t they.” MRDA.

Not good news for bees;

This paper suggests that vigilance, location of & and nest destruction is needed.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06212-0

Bordering on ‘fake news’ to give the zoo a bit of a boost, but interesting nonetheless -

The notices for “Feeding times for the Tigers” will have to be amended to add “& Red Kites”. Thanks for posting - the image of a very surprised tiger will stay with me.

In 1970s I visited Chessington zoo; I arrived as it opened and I was almost alone; I watched the Tiger enclosure for some time while the resident strolled about in the way cats do, ignoring me. Then it ran and sprang, pulling up just short of the fence. You can imagine how I reacted. The keeper, was nearby and said " He does that for fun. He doesn’t mean any harm" .

It is not necessarily fake news but not particularly news as I have seen red kites at several zoos or similar taking the food intended for the inmates. Herons and a number of other species do similar ‘stealing’.

A wonderful experience