Gremlins againnnn

The tracker has been a bit slow for me too.
I have also had a few incomplete page loads but nothing lasting longer than it would take for a server to reboot.

The worse part, for me, is to type a well researched comment and find, after a 10min construction, that the site has gone.
I usually have the feeling that somehow I have caused the crash.
I have taken to copying my text before trying to add the comment.
And yet
Quite suddenly, when the site comes up for ait, it is often running like lightning and my demands on filtering (like managing a project) are blessed with a speed and response rarely seen!
It is possible that the site’s own Cache (at the server) needs refreshing very much more regularly, that the site is using up its own space too quickly? @Chris_Valentine

I’ve just checked for spare space on the database server and it still has 15% left.

Yes, I have no idea as to causes or solutions, but have given up a couple of times - only to find I was still logged in and the logging out hadn’t worked! I also have the feeling I’ve caused the problem when asking too many questions :frowning:

I’ve just had a (repeated) failure to add a comment, followed by a CloudFlare timeout on the next observation from the carousel. (5 obsevations previously successfully responded to - 2 agreements, 2 alternative identifications and a comment.)

A third attempt and a refresh a few minutes later worked.

I also had several failed attempts to add a comment yesterday morning then a bit later it worked fine. We don’t have the full analytics back on yet since the code was updated so more tricky to track down issues at present.

It reassuring to know the Curator has the same issues.
To me it seems as though the site degrades over time - quite a short time.
Something is filling up @Chris_Valentine , the more I ask, the more it fills, the slower it gets until it begins to refuse…
Towards the end (a crash) it is obviously trying very hard and mighr respond sluggishly to a refresh. And then, eventually…
It is quite noticeable how FAST and efficient it is after reboot - so something is filling it up and then emptying (it seems)
PS11:40
I should know better - all that has just happened to me. I did a lengthy edit of an Observation, moved the photos around and amended the text…to find the site off-line.
I waited for the reboot, goodness it was clean and fast and all my editing went like lighting

The changes tracker is timing out again for me late morning.

1 Like

Work fast
Wait for the reboot, when the ‘tub’ is empty, then work fast.
Do this between a few glasses of wine. You will surprised how your frustration diminishes
Meantime I am working on shells brought in earlier, it’s much easier and I can load them in here for on-line pleasure

I’ve reported this to our IT support guys.

I cannot get the ‘changes tracker’ to work.
Have a good weekend everyone!

The recalcitrance seems quite notional: everything seems fine for a while, then (as an American collaborator once put it) ‘shit happens’.

Yes, working away fine then a series of red ‘Cannot’ messages - add comment, add agreement, log me out. Beam me up please!

At least - so far - we’ve avoided the conspiracy theorists!

We can always blame it on giant Chinese lanterns.
The Americans have just got another smaller than the first.

It’s sad when you can’t Log in but I wanted to log out just now

But, incidentally, you can go to the forum to Log in and OUT, that will log you out of the main site too (I have found)

Yes, the authentication for both sites uses the same users table.

@dejayM How sad that I find your logging out discovery useful!

It’s happening again …

Currently iSpot has pretty much ground to a halt for me.