Gremlins againnnn

Same here this p.m.
Same here this p.m. (Is that 20 characters!)

There was a big slowdown at around 16:00 - other than that, page requests were being served in 3 seconds or less.

That’s interesting. Maybe you missed changes to the small brittlestar

Saves me taking a screenshot - this is now happening again for me, and that message only appeared after a prolonged wait.

It seems to be intermittent. At one point, I couldn’t even load iSpot.

I still seem to able to CRASH iSpot.
I change my signature frequently and it commonly seems to stop iSpot in its tracks.
This happens only when it is already struggling (stuttery filtering) and may be a final straw because the server has to look for all of my 29 thousand boring comments and add the new footer.
I changed it just now with no adverse effect - the site is running smoothly (for me).
I will be more cautious out of respect to the numerous users online - though I still find it difficult to see who and how many.

There are two “sensible” ways of handing changes to signatures.

1. Embed the signature in comments, and don’t change the contents of the comments when the signature is changed.
  2. Embed a reference to the signature in comments, and substitute the current signature when a comment is rendered.

Since the signature does change in old comments the first is clearly not happening. I think it unlikely that the system is crawling through all the comments to change embedded signatures rather than doing the second.

I was surprised when peoples signatures changed for old observations, never having got round to creating one. I assumed that they were generated at the time of loading, rather than trawling through and updating.

I change my Signature frequently. I watch its effectiveness.
When making a change I always go to my Activity (not Changes) Tracker and pick a comment not made the same day.
The signature has been updated. That MIGHT be the result of ME checking and it may be a solitary result forced by me simply looking but I think not.
Neither signatures nor Avatars are very popular in iSpot, some are VERY effective.
7 regular users know this exists
https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/project/814581/
Written in 2020, only one person has ever said anything.
If I add it to my signature it will increase the number of reads almost immediately
Check it now

Signatures are not stored inside comments - they come from your user record every time.

It was going so well, and then … good old error code 524

I did NOT crash it this morning at 10:35 (for about 4 mins) but I was repling to YOU, so it could have been your fault
Perhaps significantly, the Forum also crashed @Chris_Valentine

Oddly enough I was trying to access SeaLab2 at the time of the crash.

We noticed the big slowdown here too. Fortunately it corrected itself.

I think there were only 4 users and 5 ‘Guests’ on line at the time - I had just looked
I really miss the Users panel mostly because I like to briefly follow and support a few (the few?) who come

Changes tracker not working again this morning. The annoying thing is that you then cannot recapture the missed comments. Or can you?

There was a brief, 5min, slowdown at about 08.20 this morning that affected me too but after that the site was working ok again. Chris did mention that there will be a half day off line period for the site sometime soon for maintenance and moving to new infrastructure, chance this may improve things. Will let you know more closer to the time.

It was around 07.30 when I was struggling.
But fingers crossed that the maintenance will get rid of at least some of the Gremlins.

Avatars & Signatures. Now there are three comments; as others have said, useful to know how it works.

Feeling dispirited? What about this site that I always link to :
“This site can’t be reached
casabio.org refused to connect.”
But I think that their problem may be due to the ongoing power outages in Cape Town - some have been for 10 hours. Really don’t know how they manage - some people have managed to set up extra batteries for their computers.