Quizes (oddities)

Yes, I ticked the ‘personalise’ button.

I love the bat masquerading as a whale. Even better than the wood mouse- Sei whale conundrum!

I think the challenge is to find other masquerading animals - or even better plants - claiming to be Sei. This is more fun than I imagined it would be. I’m going to have another go right now.

Hate to say it - but am enjoying this Forum thread more than I ever enjoyed doing the quizzes when they worked ‘properly’!

Me too. Yesterdays I opted for a quiz on mammals level one. Very boring as ALL were mammals, but no Sei whales, real or marsquerading. Though there was a rare mountain nyala (Tragelaphus buxtoni) from Ethiopia. I didn’t get that. Interestingly, a search for this animal, by latin name, on the site had ‘no results’… I thought they were all iSpot pictures. Another quiz later, I think.

Analysis.
Select the image that contains:
Papuan Frogmouth(Podargus papuensis). With 3 plant options.

Select the image that contains: House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) with 3 plant options.

Sooty Gull (Ichthyaetus hemprichii) with three plants.

Next identify 3 birds on a branch. I couldn’t. They were Banded Barbet Scientific name: Lybius undatus

Next, Identify the Boat-billed Heron (Cochlearius cochlearius) with 3 plants.

Select the image that contains: Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) with three plants.

Then identify a white heron with black legs. I couldn’t. It was Common name: Grande Aigrette. Scientific name: Ardea alba

Next, identify the image of a Tawny-bellied Babbler
(Dumetia hyperythra) I couldn’t.

Penultimately: Select the image that contains: Augur Buzzard (Buteo augur). With 3 plant options.

And finally one question with a 4 plant option.

I got 8/10, not bad for me for whom most birds are lbj’s eh?
But no Sei whales.
But there were 22 plant photos in the set; so I suppose it shows I know a plant from an animal.

I forgot to say the quiz I chose was Intermediate plants with personalisation.

yes - it does seem to be working better, albeit with a few missing images (I am almost disappointed)…but when I selected the option to use my recent activity…I got this:

• a non mammal!

…and on amphibians/reptiles:

It continued in this vein - I had 2 fungi, a moth, an owl, a bee to identify - and not one of the correct answers was a reptile or amphibian!

Otherwise it was boringly well-behaved.

Twelfth night. Today I tried Plant level 5 Expert. Personalized.
Q. 1 what is this image? It was a South American great thrush (Turdus fuscater). But, perhaps because I was in the ‘Plant’ quiz, it wouldn’t accept my correct id, saying No Results.

Q.2. Surprise - Same image, so I tried same id. Wrong! It said it was Common name: woodland germander
Scientific name: Teucrium scorodonia.

Q.3 This is the same image again. This time I tried T. scorodonia. It said it was Common name: musk mallow
Scientific name: Teucrium scorodonia Malva moschata.

I think I’ve had enough for this morning. I’m not going to get a Sei whale, or even a plant image today. Off to have a cup of tea.

A combination of three known problems; personalised quizzes aren’t restricted to the specified group; but the dictionary used is that for that group; and the image for the first question is the one displayed for all 10 questions.

Yes, though I must say, the combination of Personalise/Advanced or Expert usually allows me to score high.
See why?

and