'Reputation' question

Why has the revision here (https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/864796/ophion)
from a ‘higher scorer’ - not tipped the ‘Likely ID’?

(Not a complaint - just interested.)

A good question. The answer may tell us why it is sometimes so hard to get a Likely’ for certain misidentifications (peacocks and magpies come to mind).

Because one person has more reputation than the other, it does not matter about the ‘knowledgable’ status (which only confers an extra 500 points) it is the total number of points and moremoth has more overall points even though not having the silver badge.
So there is nothing wrong with the system itself but the system may need modifing which is something we are thinking about but want to try out any significant changes to the calculations in the reputation system as it has such a large effect on everything on the site.

Thanks. As I said, not a complaint - just interested.

Thanks Miked, as Amadan says, of interest to ispotters who are interested in the inner workings.

Sorry to disagree but once you reach 5 on 5 or 4 on 4 etc reputation points have very little to do with carrying the likely ID. On a recent occasion I had 26 times the reputation points of the initial ID originator and I still couldn’t carry the likely ID. This was not a one off either it is common place. Explain that one please.

Reputation adds up as the ID gets agreements. There was once a thread title “shifting banners” or something like that.

Do you mean this one?

That is the one.
It does explain the quirks of the rating system.

Now fixed.
Glad to …

If you give the example I can look up the actual numbers

This is just a random example which has been corrected by agreements. I can almost guarantee you that in nearly 100 % of examples (monitored over many years) I cannot carry the ID when adding a revised identification despite having in some cases a vastly superior reputation score. I will therefore reiterate my claim that reputation points have little or no bearing on carrying the likely ID.

Will have to find example where you still don’t have the likely ID as I can only check those cases. ChrisV may be able to write some code to check your other cases i.e instances where you have given an ID (or agreement) but it has not been shown as likely ID.

It generally not a big deal as most are sorted by agreements but I wouldn’t want users to think that reputation points influence the likely ID, they don’t, not fully anyway. There is some other algorithm that over complicates what should be a very simple process.

I had a brief look into this earlier. All of the identifications are stored in their own table which includes a field called ‘reputation’. The Likely ID banner appears against the record with the highest value in that field. I know that whenever an agreement is added or removed to that particular identification, that value is re-calculated - and that’s when the banner can move.

If you find examples of identifications where the banner position doesn’t sit where you think it should, all I need is the observation ID (its the number in the URL) and I can look those values up for you.

Following up with another Reputation query … If I had agreed an ID way back in 2011when I joined and my reputation was minimal, and I took away that agreement today and then agreed it again, would my more recent agreement carry more weight?

Quote “The Likely ID banner appears against the record with the highest value”. Sorry to disagree but that is not the case. In the example above (no disrespect intended to the poster) I had 26 times the reputation points in that field and still couldn’t carry the likely ID.

Ok glad I found the right one

Thats good you fixed it then

Yes, it would. It will always use your reputation at the time of the interaction.