A Wild trip out with my family for the day

I did find an interesting mark when I was at the beach but I thought it looked like a fossil but wasn’t sure weather it was just from the cockles being stuck to the stones
I didn’t go to look for fossils but did find something that looked like one would you say this looks like a fossil or would you say it’s more like a mark from the cockles?

I didn’t go to look for fossils cause I didn’t know they had fossils antil after I left but it did make me curious

I went to see my family today it was cloudy at first then later it was warm and sunny and I went in the garden Bumblebees were very active and I saw a holly Blue Butterfly it looked like a female holly Blue. There was lots of insects aswell. Mum and my brother mowed the grass while I sat with the dogs then later on we went to a Orchard e in Stroud there was lots of long grass and it was covered with wildflowers on the steep hill part of the field I heard a woodpecker which I managed to get a audio recording of but I didn’t manage to spot it so couldn’t take a picture. One of the dogs chased a crow but other than that it was a very nice day and it was even sunnyer and warmer than it was earlyer the place was buzzing with bees and other insects aswell

I used to pick shells when I was much younger usually loose ones in the sand but didn’t ever do Rockpooling cause I was more interested in going in the sea and was scared of wildlife includeing seaweeds cause one wrapped round my leg and avoided parts with seaweed I did wonder why there was some you couldn’t take off usually I only went to look for shells make a sandcastle or go in the water. But going in the water was the main reason I went to the beach and why I loved the beach But when I was older after I overcame my fear of Wildife and after things like birds mammels and most wildlife I developed a very very strong interest and curiosity for sea life and wondered what things are there I don’t know about and found out cockles arent just shells and there actually alive. I found out the ones stuck tightly to rocks alive and other things I didn’t know about. I also found out about crabbing. My first time Rockpooling was only a few years ago so I wanted to find a beach where you can do Rockpooling and found out about not bringing things home with you which I didn’t know about a few years before that
As for crabbing my first time crabbing was in 2019 iv been looking for other things other than just shells and looking for anything to do with sea life since then and a lot I didn’t even know about. Im now interested in what’s under the water and not just on the shore aswell now. This year someone in the house mentioned cockle picking and said something about it which I didn’t know about. its not very appealing to me cause wildlife should be left as they are cause there food for other wildlife I dont know if that is allowed anymore though and I don’t think that is aloud on all beaches anymore either Exspeacially protected beaches designated as ssi or beaches that are protected for the wildlife they have there

I have got my new camara It is a canon m6 Iv been on Holiday most of the month but I saw lots of wildlife. I went on holiday to wales and then the week after I went to Sumerset and day after after I went on holiday to Kent with my family and recently I went to Norfolk. I’m going to be going on holiday somewhere again in September and November im not going to say exactly where though. But iv been on holiday a lot iv been very busy. iv been useing my canon app to transfer photos and videos from my camara onto my phone. I didn’t manage to get any photos in Sumerset but I got photos from Kent and Norfolk. I havnt managed to transfer all of them yet though so iv only managed to send a few Kent ones but once i have transfered them all I might share some of them with I spot

Wales was very interesting and I went to a resovoir and did a woodland walk. The woodland walk wasn’t originally planned but were told about it cause the ladys at a cafe where we went also saw me taking pictures outside alot so a lady said they think it might be my thing so we organised it
I was shown fungi and insects and invertrevretes and birds and the lady knew where to find what species and told us about them she knows alot about identifying fungi so knew what some of them wwere and taught us about the things she showed us the walk took 3 hours. The lady was with a man that is going to be doing the walks for people aswell and is learning from the lady and about wildlife so At the end of the walk the lady and Exspeacially the man that was with us said they would like it if I sent them photos iv taken on holiday and if I send ones from the walk they will put the photos in frame and put them up on the wall so people know what to look out for on the walks

1 Like

Wow, you’ve covered a lot of ground! One advantage of being young is having all that energy.
I love Kent and Norfolk, especially the coastal areas! Living in Surrey means that I don’t get to see the sea very often - and I miss it!

I’m a bit behind but was interested to see your photos of the marks on a rock you thought might be fossils or left by cockle shells. Your pics reminded me of an observation showing the marks left behind on rocks by barnacles: https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/751487/barnacle-scars

Yes I have been on holiday a lot this year I went on holiday to Dorset in May I went to the beach but also Blue pool Nature Reserve and Upton Country park and then on the 10th July I went on holiday to South Wales we stayed until Friday 14th so almost a week the woodland walk was the day before. The lady did tell us before we organised it it was a 3 hour walk even though it was 3 hours we enjoyed the walk I didn’t get tired cause I was so busy looking out for things and taking pictures and I was exited about what species she’s going to show us on the walk next.

After holiday in the evening when we got back from holiday a Red admiral landed and perched on my hand I had my camara in my other hand so I recorded it fly onto my hand and open and close its wings

on the 22nd July I went to Sumerset then we went on holiday to Kent on the 23rd and we stayed until late afternoon on Monday. I went in the sea on Sunday and on the Monday I walked along looking for Wildlife After holiday on the Thursday I went to Norfolk for the day.
I had to get up at 6 in the morning to get ready cause it was a 3 or 4 hour drive we stayed for the day and then we left

Im going on holiday somewhere again in September then I will be going on holiday again

So iv been to Dorset, Sumerset and Kent so far this year but I will be going on holiday to more places.

1 Like

Yes I found it in Dorset they were quiet interesting

Well Iv been on holiday again. I went last Friday. I went to Dorset. I stayed for 3 nights and I stayed in a caravan and I went to the beach and swam in the sea and looked for Wildlife and the day after I went to A Nature Reserve iv only just come back today. I can’t send any photos to I spot cause I’m having trouble transferring photos from my camara to my phone and saving them but once iv solved the problem I can send some to I spot

I heard tawny owls when I was there it was at it for more than an hour and I recorded its call but I got no pictures or video and I recorded its call with my phone

Try a search on the tag sound recording for example as shown in this observation

if you click on sound recording tag then you should get lots of other sound recordings although it may take a while (spinning wheel round screen for a couple of minutes before they showed up for me).

By the way I have not been back to that site recently but it might have been damaged by HS2 so not sure it would be suitable for sound recording now.

Thanks Mike
Iv managed to do it

Talking of sound recordings, I recently noticed I had a large group of long-tailed tits up in the pine trees so I thought I’d see what the Merlin app would make of them. Over just a few minutes it had picked out 7 species of birds including goldcrest and greenfinch. Here’s a recording from the same day with just five:

Does the Merlin app work offline, or does it require internet access. (I tried to use it in the field once, but it said I had to create an account, which obviously I couldn’t do offline.)

unfortunately no. It requires access to a huge database. I suspect some stuff is held in the phone’s buffer so when out of Cell range it seems to work. It is a very good App.

That sounds like a “yes and no”.

I’ve yet to try using it in the middle of nowhere - but I’m amazed at how well it works.