Gremlins againnnn

Yes, that’s right, all uploaded images are shrunk in file size to save space; additionally, depending on how large they are (pixels) a number of smaller versions are made for display in different places on the site. All of that takes time which is why, when you view the observation for the first time, sometimes some of those images won’t be ready. For 6 “large” JPGs (say 5Mb each) it will be making 24 new JPGs - and that is being done by the same PHP server that handles all of the queries and is therefore quite busy!

:white_check_mark:It’s IMPORTANT that everyone reads that
So…it is best to LIMIT the size of .img upload?
I’d hate that but many other Websites do it and I would do it to please the Server and improve its response time

I would prefer people continue to upload large files as they make it easier for identifications. Its only the upload and processing that will take extra time - once they’re processed, it doesn’t make any difference to how quickly they will load.

OK I will produce a real test in the next hour

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/852843/
remained for 6 minutes like this
No image displays in the Observation nor Other Observations strip

After 6 minutes I refreshed my contact with iSpot.
The response was immediate. All images intact and displaying
Three of the Images are over 7Mb

For me these were slow to appear (5 seconds or so) but then the whole lot arrived at once. Now I’ve visited the page once, if I go back the images come out of my local cache so appear pretty much instantly.

At 1955 the changes tracker temporarily added changes since 1030 (should have been around 1830) back into the highlighted new changes.

I’d backspaced into the changes tracker page, so possibly the redraw/refresh that normally happens in that circumstance failed.

If I try to open an observation from the Explore Community | List menu I get

Opening the same observation from the home page carousel works correctly.

Yes, I am also forbidden to access some observations, error 403. I can see them by using another route such as via the individual’s activity tracker. This is a new issue for me and has only happened today, for me.

New failure mode (possibly a DNS failure) - went away on a refresh

Error 1034

Ray ID: 7592a06abb5c75e1 • 2022-10-12 20:36:15 UTC

Edge IP Restricted

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website that is part of the Cloudflare network. The host (www.ispotnature.org) resolved to an IP address that the owner of the website does not have access to.

What can I do?

If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
Check your DNS records to ensure they are pointed to the IP address(es) you were assigned at registration.

If you get any of these 403s again, could you please paste the entire URL in here so I can test myself. We had one last night and I noticed it had #new on the end - which is something I added not so long ago to take you to the start of the comments section.

It pleases me that someone is using or testing the Explore Community feature
It is performing well (for me) this morning.

On all my Changes Tracker list, including:

Most strange - both load for me with no issues.

I wonder if your browser ecookies for the domain have become corrupted? If you’re able to, delete all cookies for the domain ispotnature.org - obviously you’ll have to log in again.

They now work for me too.
More info - I have Firefox set up to clear all cookies on exit.
Also - as you can see - although I was seeing the 403 message in the “open in new window” tabs, the thumbnails for those pages loaded normally into the forum post.

Working again now for me too. I’ve seen this on two different machines both running Chrome under Windows 10. I’d think it a little strange if cookies on both had become corrupted within a short time of each other.

I’m still getting the 403 forbidden message when trying to go into an observation from the explore communities list. However, from the home page I can access them by clicking on the photos. Have to say the constant issues are a little frustrating although I know people are working hard to sort them out behind the scenes. Just feels like one thing after another sadly.

I am getting the 403 message for observations which are not mine from the tracker, so I am not just ignoring comments etc

I am getting 404 in the same circumstance as you mention - from the tracker BUT can see the same item if I get to it another way. I think several people are suggesting a bunch of the errors are related to changes in the browsers which happened recently as some links that used to work simply don’t work or work irratically now.
A similar issue happened a few years ago and ispot had to make various changes to keep up with what the browsers were doing.

I’m experiencing the same problem.