Gremlins againnnn

Photos are not loading.

Neither are mine, trying again and again. Oh dear.

Adding a couple of minutes later: still won’t load a photo so not much point. Have a couple of fungi to add to today’s event - okay they will eventually be added, I hope, but it takes away from the immediacy of National Fungus Day.

The uploading does seem somewhat dodo-esq. Now that would be something worth uploading.

Opening https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/852567/snail-sp
I see no snail, just the"butterfly" (invertebrate) symbol.

And trying to paste a screenshot in here, it gets stuck at the “processing image” stage.

Going back to the page, the “butterfly” (invertebrate) symbol has been replaced by a “no-entry sign”

Trying to add a comment to the post doesn’t work, either: it fails.

Ah. OK: now I seem to have broken iSpot completely… :rage:

Suspect it was not you!! Though I was feeling the same…!
Unable to load photos again and now unable to get in!

Pretty disappointing.

It seems to me that many of the current problems may be to do with display, mostly of images but also of galleries and thumbnails.
Uploading almost always stalls near the end and any ‘enquiry’ that requires display often falters.
Like Amadan I sometimes feel that I have caused a site crash - it commonly happens when I ‘ask’ iSpot to DO something,
Can more space be allocated to ‘display’ just to see if the Gremlin dies?

Some technical background:
As part of the image upload process, the EXIF data is stripped for the original JPG and a new file is kept that’s the same pixel size but smaller in file size (simply to save space on the big images volume). Only once the entire observation is complete are the other sizes (up to five of them) made and this sometimes takes a little time. Your observation page is loaded immediately after you ‘agree’ its complete and its possible that if not all of those smaller versions have been made, you may see the “no entry” image instead.

Observation images - including those in the carousels - are loaded not when the page is built but by a process called Ajax which calls for them when that part of the page is loaded/viewed by the browser - so each image request is a separate process. The ‘holding’ image is the “no entry” sign; if the server is very busy at that time (it has a limited number of threads) again its possible that the requested image is not sent and therefore “no entry” image is left on screen in its place.

Sorry - not quite true. The “no limit” sign generally means the image is literally not on the server. The holding images are different for each taxonomic group.

I seem to have offended the gremlins again
Logging out and logging in again didn’t help.

The Gremlins have decided that I should not see the second of the three images here: the others are normally visible:

I see all three of your images.

The creation of the smaller images - the ones you see in the observation record and in the carousels - does take a little time so don’t panic if they don’t immediately appear.

I did wait: no luck.

And you still can’t see it?

It loads immediately now. The longest I waited last time was about 4 minutes.
Seriously weird…

Getting this again on another computer.

I think many of our problems might be our own PC or display limitations
I load in say 6 photos. They go in quickly enough and are accepted at the final save
But, for me, do not display in the Observation for a long time, indeed on recent occasions suggest that they are not available for display.
BUT if I refresh the URL (Title bar in the Browser), they usually (not always) display.
This may trigger a response from the iSpot server or be indication I am short of Display Ram, I suspect it is the former
This is the typical immediate response which might last UNTIL I refresh, this eve for over 5 mins

and, sometimes, after a minute or so, a second display, suggesting some or all the photos are absent

But a refresh request (F5 on my PC) usually brings in the whole display EXCEPT the main frame (only sometimes)
This test was run at 20:37 this eve
I honestly feel that a handshake signal (a little nudge to the Server) is sometimes required.
@Chris_Valentine

No areas of the site will load for me currently. Has been like this for about the last ten minutes.

There is some background image processing that goes on after the confirmation has been clicked. This has been explained as best it can be. We appear to have lost a screen refresh or other bit of data that comes back to refresh the screen so that a manual screen refresh it required from the user end.
I have seen one or two newly posted observations that take a while to load.
It is possible that the image processing is not completing until a request to access the images has been sent for the first time from a user?